Forum home Fruit & veg

Gooseberry & raspberry cane deaths!

I have a small fruit area where I have been successfully growing a number of Gooseberry "Invicta" cordons, together with Glen Moy/Glen Prosen raspberry canes     This year the gooseberry cordons fruited well - but not exceptionally and then one of the cordons lost all its leaves and has appeared to die, another is showing the same leaf loss as well.  There appears to be no insect/fungal/disease evidence.    The Glen Moy raspberries at about the same time (June) also dropped all leaves and have now died however they have produced a few suckers, again with no disease evidence.  T   The Glen Prosen raspberries have produced little fruit and very few new shoots for next year.   I am at something of a loss - having had several successful years with these plants.  They are well manured, fed (growmore slow release fertiliser) and watered.  The site is sheltered, free draining and in full sun.   Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I wish to replace the canes/cordons but clearly don't want the same thing to happen again??    

• waterbuttswaterbutts Posts: 1,214

Have you had the courage to dig one up and have a look under the soil?

• "  They are well manured, fed (growmore slow release fertiliser) and watered.  The site is sheltered, free draining and in full sun."

Sounds perfect - so I am with Waterbutts - have a look at the roots and check for grubs or evidence of them.