Nettle Fertiliser

I believe the ratio of Monty Don's nettle fertiliser is 10 to 1, what can i use it on?. I was going to feed my squash and cougettes also runner beans. 

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener LeicsPosts: 6,475

Nettle fertiliser is high in Nitrogen, so is good for leafy things, like brassicas, lettuce, sweetcorn etc.  Anything which fruits needs a bit more Potash - comfrey feed has a better nutrient balance for those.  You can of course use nettle feed on such veg, but dilute it more and add some potash (eg Sulphate of Potash at the recommended dilution) or you may get lots of leafy growth at the expense of fruit.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • How long does it keep?

• Bob is exactly right in what he say's and as far as i know it keeps for quite a long time in fact i just keep add ing more water and nettles to mine to keep the culture feeding.

• I have both nettles and comfrey growing. Is it ok to mix them together in the brew?

• Contrasting ratios... Monty quoted in a newspaper supplement that he writes for, (can't remember which one) that, the ratio is best at 50:1 and always better on the weak side...

• Oh okay - thank you Andrew, glad I asked that or would have got completely wrong then!

• I have quite a lot of wood ash - how do I best use that?  It's so fine that it wold blow away sprinkling it straight on the soil or can I mix it with nettle juice and water it in?

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 11,231

I mix woodash with home made compost and use it to mulch around the gooseberries and blackcurrants.

It's not a mess, it's a nature reserve.
  • I don't have either of those fruits - any good for Raspberries, blackberries or fruit trees?

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener LeicsPosts: 6,475

HyppyByker, yes, wood ash contains potash so is good for any fruiting/flowering shrubs but in moderation, so best mixed with compost as fidget suggests.  PS, don't use ash from wood which has had any kind of treatment such as pressure-treated timber etc.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.