Forum home Plants

unidentified plant

pam24pam24 Posts: 16

hi, i have a very tall plant, about 5 ft, it has a thick stem with many fonds of leaves that look like maiden head fern leaves and along these are clusters of very delicate purple flowes. i dont know the name of the plant even though i planted it myself last year as a very small plant. the main problem is what to do with it now it has finished flowering and what is its name help please

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,374

Did you take a photo pam? Could be a thalictrum but the description could be something else

• XX Posts: 707

Sounds like Thalictrum to me.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,862

Have a look at Thalictrum delavayi and see if that matches if you can't load a photo.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • pam24pam24 Posts: 16

well done! i googled thalictrum and it is the delavayi, how did you know? do you have one and do you know what to do with it now its finished flowering? thanks

• SwissSueSwissSue Posts: 1,447

The RHS says cut down when flowering is over.

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/plantselector/plant?plantid=1920

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,862

I let it form seed because it doesn't last long as a plant. In later years the seedlings take over.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • XX Posts: 707

Ive got one Pam and I let it go to seed then give it a good shake and cut it down sometime during  autumn usually.

• pam24pam24 Posts: 16

thanks everyone, i'll see how it gets on nexy year