Forum home Talkback

Talkback: Gardening disputes between neighbours

124»

• If we have a winter like last winter your neighbour will be lucky if the tree survives- I have seen several eucalyptus trees with dead foliage this year-though I think they can pick up from the base.
  • I have leylandii's which are my neighbours at the bottom of the garden, mine is not a big garden, about 45ft deep, the trees are about 30ft, they run along 3 neighbouring properties also. We have asked them if we could trim them to a height of about 15ft but alas no. They let us trim our side, that is all. It is a south facing garden,, but one now without much sunlight thanks to the trees. The council require £500 to send a letter and an officer to visit, with no guarantee that the tree height will successfully be lowered. I have no problem paying a smaller sum, but £500, is ridiculous with no guarantees.
  • squirelsquirel Posts: 1
    Can anyone help - in the DEEDS it states that (garden boundary) anything live has to be kept under the height of 5 feet 6 inches
    The neighbor has a tree taller than his house and is busy planting trees over 6 foot high all over hanging my
    large garden from his 3 foot boarder. I have nothing
    at all over his garden. What action should I take to ensure my neighbor abides by the terms of the deeds.
    Trees block light and I have all the work of clearing up all their leaves. He broke my fence with everything
    resting on it. Cher
  • sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

If it is in the deeds then you need to consult a solicitor or citizens advice bureau-talk to other neigbours too see if it is affecting them as well-you might well have a case for a combined action.

What you must not do is nothing-if ever you came to sell it will be a nightmare

• Abby2Abby2 Posts: 101

Be careful what you wish for!!  We asked our neighbours if they could trim their leylandii down to 15 ft from 30 ft and they cut them down completely.  Now their windows stare directly into our house and garden.  It'll take years for my new replacement trees to grow to a level giving us any privacy back again (sob)!

• gardengirl6gardengirl6 Posts: 223

I just wish people would realise that when they plant a tree or a shrub right up against their fence, their neighbours will get half of the tree overhanging their garden.   People just don't think!

• Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,488
    despairing Donna wrote (see)
    I have leylandii's which are my neighbours at the bottom of the garden, mine is not a big garden, about 45ft deep, the trees are about 30ft, they run along 3 neighbouring properties also. We have asked them if we could trim them to a height of about 15ft but alas no. They let us trim our side, that is all. It is a south facing garden,, but one now without much sunlight thanks to the trees. The council require £500 to send a letter and an officer to visit, with no guarantee that the tree height will successfully be lowered. I have no problem paying a smaller sum, but £500, is ridiculous with no guarantees.

If the hedge was planted before the 1 June 2005 then you are wasting your time as the Anti Social Behaviour Act (2003) is for new hedges only. The height restrictions is also a guide, not a law. Save your £500 and offer the neighbours to pay for a professional to trim it. Reassure them that their privacy will remain and that their shallow roots are a danger in high winds and that they will be financially responsible for any damage.

• Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,488

percydigwell

"i keeping my calm pointed out to her that the law states that the max height for these hedges is 6foot 6 inches"

There is no such law in the UK. There are guidelines for new hedges that suggest 2 metres but no local authority can enforce anyone to any height (unless it comes under the Highways Act and is near a main road).

"i had been scolded for not asking her permission to carry out the trim she gave her permission to carry on, i might add that all the trimmings were in my garden and desposed of by me"

What you did is illegal. You cannot go onto others land and cut their hedge. You may trim over hanging branches on your land - but hand them over to the neighbour as she still owns them!