Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: Pests and problems

hiya,
could someone tell me what are theses flys that have seem to of landed in my garden,they are millions of them and they are all over the ponds,,,,they are not on the plants just hoovering over water,also they are very small....

help.

• What insect builds a cocoon of leaves in soil (of spring cabbage seedlings)?
    I have creatures similar to wasps/bees that have made a hole in the soil of my spring cabbage seedlings and keep returning with small pieces of leaves. When I broke the soil away there are neat cocoons made of the leaves with a waxy substance inside. What are the creatures?
  • I love gardeners world but find it completely ruined for me by the incessant, intrusive so-called music in the background. I struggle to hear the dialogue. Tonight the pianist was repeatedly playing 3 notes over and over again. Why do we need it, what does it add?
  • I have got a type of soft whit e fungus on my japanse maple and on my bay leaf tree one small one has died what is how can i stop it spreadinBg thanksBrian.
  • I have clusters of eggs and black flys with red makings all over my cherry tree. Whole areas of leaves appear to be decimated by this. Anyone know what it may be and if there is a solution?
    Thanks.
  • How do you prevent rust on hollyhock leaves?
  • I've got blck dots on my mint, surrounded by what looks like a sticky white web. I'm quite new to gardening and have no idea what is is. Save my mint!

Thank you
  • I have 8 tomato plants in my greenhouse and have done for the last 2 years with no problem this year disaster has sruck and 3 of the plants have curley leaves and the growth seems to have been stunted and the stems have white lumps along the main stem please help this has never happend before and i am scared thatit might spread to the other 5 plants
  • I have noticed in a garden alot of small grass hoppers appearing over the last month. Are they harmful to the grass/plants and if so how can I get rid of them? I have cats and kids so it would need to be something that is not harmful to them
  • My runner bean flowers are smothered in pollen beetles will they affect crop
    production?
  • To Brianuk
    I, too had a problem with my Japanese maple. A scale-type inspect with a shite 'cotton wool' tipe casing. Had to resort to an insecticide on advice from chap at local garden centre. He thought it was mealy bug???