Plant ID

Hello,

Hope everyone is well.  It's been a while since I last visited.  The house we bought is a bit of a Pandora's Box of interesting challenges, so it's been the focus of most of our spare time.  I've been trying to keep on top of the garden, but having made yet another ignorant mistake (cut back a smallish, but leggy hyderangea at the weekend), I thought I'd check in to see what these plants / flowers are before I touch them. 

I have bought books, but sometimes I'm still finding it diffiuclt to make a positive ID. I remember one of the regulars saying that you don't mind being asked to ID plants, so I hope this is OK.

Help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you, Caroline

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,892

hibiscus (bluebird?)

sedum

hibiscus

sedum

platycodon white

platycodon blue

autumn flowering anemone

aquilegia.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3

or the platycodons could be campanulas?

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Fantastic!  Thank you so much image

I'll go and have a read about them.

I'm really surpised that the hibiscus plants look so different.  The blue one has quite a thick 'trunk' - the whites are on long stems.  I hadn't even noticed the blue one until today, it was mostly hidden under another plant (you can see the variagated leaves of the other plant in the photo.  I have no idea what the one is either, but I think it's going to be taken out).  I only clocked the hibiscus when I noticed a glimmer of colour.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,087

That's a euonymus you've got in there with the hibiscus. 

• Thank you. I'll look into that one too.  It had grown and entwined itself around a couple of things - the hibiscus and a rose.  Perhaps outright removal is a little hasty.  I should have learned by now - act in hast, repent at leisure! 

It's a good reliable evergreen shrub. You can cut it right back and it will grow again.

I hacked out a lot of things over the years and now wish I hadn't. maybe I'll learn one day as well.

• It's not something I'm proud of, but it does make me feel better knowing that I'm not the only one guilty of rash gardening choicesimage    On a positive note, I've just ordered my very first bulbs.  I'm ridiculously excited - 42 years old, and only just popped my bulb buying cherry image

did you get anything exciting?

• Just bluebells, snowdrops and miniature narcissus.  I'd like to grow myself some hyacinths too - something to cheer up the drab winter days.  I thought I might try and make myself an indoor tub.

I bought some more tete a tete narcissus to put in tubs. They look nice on the patio during the dark months of winter.