Cotinus Coggyria grown as a standard

Hello to all out there.

Hope you can give me some guidance.  I have a young cotinus coggyria planted in our lawn as a memorial shrub with my partners' mum's ashes underneath!!  It has grown enormously this season and is beginning to obscure our view of a decent flower border behind it.  My ideal way to overcome the problem would be to prune it gradually into a standard small tree. Do they take kindly to this sort of manipulation?  Any advice most welcome.

Good gardening, Annesandra.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,255

I can't imagine it making a well shaped tree. Why don't you try the 'cut it back to base every year' method that a lot of people use. You won't get flowers but some lovely large leaves

• AtillaAtilla Posts: 1,493

A neighbour has one (or had as they never watered it this summer!).

I would start shaping it now - pic in site below to give you an idea.

http://www.gardenoasis.co.uk/standard-cotinus-coggygria-royal-purple-p-2578.html

• Thanks nutcutlet and blairs. I will start cutting and shaping it based on what you say. It's thriving so should be able to take the brutality!!! Many thanks for your replies. Annesandra S.
  • izzy8izzy8 Posts: 79

I planted cotinus Grace last year and gave it a prune in spring. Judging by the amount of growth it's put on, (about 4ft in a short space of time) I would think that it will be rather top heavy as a standard and need strong staking. Verduns method is much better and you'll get lovely large foliage