Forum home Talkback

Talkback: Dandelions

Pippa i agree and we also have a wonderful display of dandelions here in cardiff. Walking along in the park one day i remembered a bbc program by alyss fowler (edible garden) which said you could fry and eat dandelion flower heads. So into my bag went a dozen or so bright yellow dandelion heads. Later fried till crisp they tasted of honey and were the perfect complement to my lime leave and wild garlic salad.

Long live the humble dandelion.

• We have more dandelions this year too on the Berkshire/Wiltshire border. I think they look pretty in the lawn, but I know if it doesn't rain this weekend, my husband will be out there digging them all up and making his straight lines as he cuts the grass. I wonder why it's only men who have to mow in straight lines, or is it just that lawns are mainly cut by men?
  • I love dandelions as well, our pet rabbits love the leaves and of course the bees like them too, so please don't dig them up!
  • Dandelions are so prevalent this year due to the extremely cold winter we had this year. If anyone has ever tried to pull up a dandelion they will be aware of the extremely strong and deep roots that a dandelion has. With the damage to grass caused by the cold weather, it has taken a lot longer for the grass to establish itself this year and as a result this has given the advantage to all the dandelions lying in wait over the winter.
  • I love them, just as long as they're not on my allotment! I'm happy to let them grow on my "lawn", but then most of my garden has been invaded with wildflowers from the surrounding woodland and old borders. Most of the lawn is covered in wild strawberries! Shame the birds always get the fruit first.
  • Down here in Somerset - dandylions are rampant. Every year our local roundabout gets more & more yellow. Personally they make me shudder ... all those little seeds flying around and taking root everywhere. This year I have removed 5 bin bags of dandylions but I know I'm fighting a losing battle. Anyone else feel like me?
  • I was given a jar of Dandelion Syrup by some German friends last year, and have experimented making Dandelion Cake (Replacing Golden Syrup or Honey recipes) It is superb.
  • the other day i went outside picking all the dandelions in the garden (which is 1/3 of on acear) next day i woke up looked out side my window and they were all back
  • I don't mind the odd dandelion in the lawn, but around here dandelions to me means lazy articles that can't get off their lazy backsides and cut their grass. I live in a new build estate and coming from a cooncil scheme where the local neds didn't know what a lawnmower was I was under some false impression that the folk round here would have a wee bit more pride in their brand spanking new homes ... nah, just wee neds with big mortgages!
  • The Dandeions are doing very well for themselves in Belfast this year also. I have been leaving most of them for the Bees who also seem to be having a good year, perhaps they too are enjoying the Dandelion glut. I have been pulling up some of the Lions but only to make some space for the Daisies. Free flowers, how can you complain!
  • More dandelions than ever in Essex, too. And, like George, I've found that they return the next day after picking!