Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

why-is-it

• waterbuttswaterbutts Posts: 1,277

As Mr Rumsfeld would say: It's the unknown unknows turning into the known knowns.

Now, where did I put those secateurs, they were here a minute ago......

• HaisieHaisie Posts: 108

I've asked lots of questions since joining a couple of weeks ago. I was also getting used to how this forum works - still can't work it properly image. I have asked questions that have already been answered but I didn't realise that and often I come in from the garden with a burning question and have so looked forward to getting an answer. I wish i had joined this years ago. Please don't tell us mistaker makers off: I make lots of mustaks! And i am not perfect and never will be (sob). This site has so many lovely, knowlegable people and surely there is room for the tryers?

• GillyLGillyL Posts: 1,077

I don,t usually get steamed up about things,but as far as I am concerned enough said.

Am aware of the button Dove & Sue will use if necessaryimage

Do not want to spoil an enjoyable forum.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Haisie, please don't ever be perfect. It would be too boringimage

Keep asking the questions. they need asking. It's the way we all learn. I've been at it for years and still asking and learning

In the sticks near Peterborough

Thanks nutcutlet! I love gardening, just wish I'd been able to ask lots of questions before now and probably the same questions over again until it sinks in! Escaping to my garden is the best thing I do - no bad tempered folk, no-one telling you what to do... "It's all mine, mine I tell you!" she slobbers, rocking in the garden chair. So, bad-tempered folk, smile and realise that most of us are simply happy image. I'll go and skip around the garen now "La, la, la..."

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Haisie, we all make mistakes. Every year I try something new. Some work, some don't. Usually all i've lost is a pack of seed, or another plant turns its toes up at the frost and disappears. Sometimes I find supposedly frost tender plants are hardier than they are supposed to be. A lot of new plants such as hardy gerberas are anything but.

Most people on the forum will offer an opinion. Sometimes its right. Sometimes it's wrong. Anybody offering an opinion has to accept there are people with other viewpoints.  Gardening is not an exact science. (although it helps if you know some science and basic biology). I've got more books on gardening than the local library, some almost a hundred years old. The internet is a great resource though.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

A lot of the rights and wrongs aren't that clear-cut either. A friend and I both had the same plant. I thought it was a shade plant, put it in the shade and it did really well. My friend thought it needed sun, so she put it in the sun and it did really well.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

imageimage

Thanks fidgetbones. i have just read that other thread about the plum tree. Blimey! I would have been so upset if that had have happened to me early on this and I wouldn't have returned as I would have felt excluded. Good job I know different now.

• Val40Val40 Posts: 1,377

You'll be OK with me Haisie as I just pretend I'm a gardener, so that these nice people chat to me.  May have to fill you in on the yapping dog.  That's the initiation process. image