Forum home Tools and techniques

When to plant spring bulbs

2»

• Alina WAlina W Posts: 1,445

No. It's not unusual for bulbs such as daffodils and crocus to put up shoots now; they will stop growing when it gets colder, and start again in spring. It's nothing you've done wrong.

• Phew. thanks ;o)

• Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,488
    Sinevegas wrote (see)

I have planted alliums/daffs/tulips. I just noticed tiny little green shoots appearing, is this because i shouldn't have planted the tulips yet?

The cheap bulbs i bought didn't really have instructions on them, just heights and colours.

darn!

You can mound earth up around the growth during colder weather. Tulips tend to come up blind if appearing now in my experience.

• Can you plant alliums in containers ie do they do well or are they better in the ground????
  • Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,488

Alliums do fine in tubs.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I only have a small space so all my bulbs go in pots: crocus, snowdrops, narcicus already in and sunk in the ground. Easy to move out of the way when they are dieing back

• For years I have been planting my spring bulbs in aquatic baskets.  As you can see from my name I love Dahlias which are still in flower today, so when they do eventually get cut down by severe frosts, I dig them up (all 45 of them) to store and plant the spring bulbs in their place.  Then in May I remove the bulbs and store them out of sight (protected from mice) still in their aquatic baskets to allow the foliage to die down and so the cycle continues.  You may have to pot on the bulbs every 2/3 years depending on their size.