Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

which-green-house

Hi,

I am just a very raw beginner to the garden world. I have always had a "Maintainance free" garden back and front. Althrough I have potted some "flowers" here and there, I would like to have some nice displayes for next year. I also would like to try and grow some basice vegables in a small green house perhaps. Trouble is what do I go for to begin with, Plastic/ glass, wooden, metal???!!!

• Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,488

Wooden frames do seem to heatup and store heat better, esp in winter as the metal stays cold. I have polycarbonate and wood and am totally happy with it - most greenhouses in Germany and Netherlands are polycarbonate and they have far worse winters than us. A neighbour has a metal and polycarbonate lean to that the plastic blows out of all the time (he never maintained it and it is very exposed and cheap tbh).

For an absolute beginer try a large coldframe and if it works for you then invest in a larger greenhouse.

• little-annlittle-ann Posts: 878

i have sent a thread up on choosing a greenhouse Paul lots of help for you

• madge1madge1 Posts: 3

Hi I am to a novice gardener and would like  to get a greenhouse, I was thinking of gettting a plastic walk in one, I think they are around £50. I would like to learn how to take cuttings and grow from seed.

• Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,488

I started with those Madge and still have it. Perfect to keep plants dry over winter - only weakness is the zip and insects can easily get into it.

• Susan 17Susan 17 Posts: 95

Madge 1 I had a small plastic one and I found it really useful    however tip is to make sure it is weighted.  I potted out lots of seeds earlier this year came home to find them all over the floor, so had to start all over again.  "learning curve"  Now I have the bug and progressed to a grown up one.