Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: Growing garlic and onions

hi i just like you i cant wait until spring
cant wait getting stated

• Some of my autumn onions both red ans white appear to have rotted, which is annoying as I use a good quantity of onions throughout the year. My garlic however has all survived which is surprising. I haven't put in my spring sets yet. SO fed-up with the cold wind.The propagator has once again come into it's own with a cozy home for the new brassicas,leeks etc.
  • monday i planted my sturon looking forward to seeong them grow ive planted 8 rows of carrots next to them early nantes and autumn king 2 decide going to plant red baron the other side and garlic try mask the carrot smell from that dreaded carrot fly
  • I also planted some Solent Wight garlic last autumn into cells and put them into my cold frame, when I looked at them in January the compost looked so wet I thought they had rotted away, so last week I bought some more from the garden centre - Picardy Wight I think and planted them in cells. When I lifted the lid of the cold frame to put the new ones in, there were lovely green shoots on the autumn planted ones, they hadn't rotted after all, so in future I need to be more patient.
  • about a month ago i planted out in the garden some carrots - nantes2, salad oinions seeds and some onion seeds - Ailsa craig and have still not seen anything come up. Is it me not been patient or do they take so long to germinate.
  • I HAVESOWED SOMESEEDS,ABOUT 3 WEEKS AGO,IN A COLD FRAME AND GERMINATION IS SLOWLY HAPPENING, ICANT WAIT TO PLANT UP IN MY POTS,IWAS WONDERING WHETHER THE SEEDS WOULD GERMINATE AS I DIDNT THINK THEY HAD A COLD SPELL, TO GERMINATE,ASTHEY HAVE BEEN INSIDE ALL OVER WINTER.IN ANICE WARM HOUSE, ALSO COULD YOU USE A FREEZER INSTEED OF AFRIDGE TO HURRY UP THE PROCESS
  • IM AFTER A CHERRY TREE KIKI SHIDARE SAKURA,BARE ROOT,HOW LONG BEFORE IT NEEDS TO BE IN THE GROUND,
  • At last I've been able to remove the garlic smell from my conservatory by planting my garlic bulbs which were getting pot bound, out in the garden. They have great root systems so should do well now although my soil is still very cold. A week of good weather now will make such a difference. The early potatoes are sprouting waiting for Good Friday.
  • Planted my onions and garlic on the 4th of March, Had about 10 frosts since! I have pics on the website. wellrooted.co.uk. Really hope they are OK . Last night i planted peas and beans in the conservatory ready for spring now!
  • Had to share this with you - preparing the ground for potatoes, I dug up a clump of seven shallots which I must have missed last year. They had begun to sprout so I divided and planted them again - shallots for free! I also had the pleasure of my first butterfly, a peacock, so all in all a lovely morning's gardening.
  • I must admit i don't always have successes planing onions and shallots. Those i put in the ground in March seem to be doing fine. Keeping an eye and will report back on progress.