Forum home Talkback

Talkback: Garden jobs for spring

February 28th, over an inch of rain, March 1st, early frost followed by sunniest day for a very long time. Wonderful! I was out in the garden first thing, armed with my to do list, a lengthy document, cleaning the pond pumps, replacing the filters and UVC lamps, weeding, sorting out the climbers and a dozen other things. Brilliant start on the list, but the best bit of the day, sitting in the morning sun on a bench, with a cup of coffee, admiring the crocus display, as courting birds twitter overhead. After such a bad winter today has been very rewarding

• So true i have been waiting for this day all winter beautiful.
  • Pears, pears, pears! I finally ordered two minarette pears from Ken Muir today, after much faffing and wandering off on quince tangents. Bad weather is no excuse, I should've done it ages ago but couldn't bring myself to go for minarettes, afraid they'd look like those bizarre, over-fruiting, containerised midget trees in magazines. But I shall train mine at a jaunty angle side-by-side on my sunny wall, and hope for the gracious cordon effect.

Interestingly also spent my lunch hour Vitax-ing all the roses while removing our cat's and dog's little presents from around the garden. Out with the old poo, in with the new. Go, March!

Sheila Averbuch -- Stopwatch Gardener
  • Dear James, I have to finish applying wood preservative to my trellises before allowing anything to grow up them. I started the job last September and have done 2.5 trellises so far. I also have to fix a hole in my pond liner. These are two very boring, horrible jobs and I've been hoping they would just go away. But they haven't. Kate
  • Just had a wander round my garden, looks like ive lost a few plants and even my ceonothus and red robin look like they have bit the dust, the ground is frozen solid along with the pond and water butt, a little snow on the ground ,its an open aspect garden so gets no protection but i must say the dog woods look lovely and the few snowdrops. I am hoping it warms up soon!!
  • cant wait new allotment this year getting it turned over this saturday gotta take out all the grass rizones put compost in any plant my petit puio onion sets sturnon dill allantic pumpkin and start other stuff off in the greenhouse
  • Sounds great Michael, hope to get planning and organising my greenhouse this weekend.
  • Yes a great day on monday 1st and tuesday 2nd March Made a new garden patch already for planting Re planed a few plants they did not mind bless them. sorted out green house sowed some seeds What a great time in all in the two days spent 12 hours in the garden.Better then being indoors been really great
  • I would like to know whether I should cut back the fronds of my evergreen ferns. Can anyone give me advice?
  • We also serve who only sit and eat. :(
  • i have to walk on my lawn to get to the boaders,the ground is stilll very soft under foot.its slow to dry out due to heavy clay so am limeted to what i can do at this time of year.i'm hopeing for a longer dry spell,we had some snow yesterday but today looks promesing.