danger-is-in-the-garden

I always wear the plastic gardening, clog-type shoes, no matter what I am doing. I cringe at the thought of anything bitting my toes, let alone chopping them off! I now wear a round necked T-shirt as one time when I was gardening, I came in to make tea and felt a tickle. I was still feeling a tickle a couple of hours later and looked down my top. A huge spider had survived my itching! Yak!

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Must admit Smokin I wouldn't want to look at a tennis ball amongst plants, but I did save wine corks, before most became screw top, and used them. I also have little green plug like stoppers to use.

At one point I did consider a blob of plasticine..but it's that long since I've seen any and not sure if I've even spelled it correctly.

Sudden flash image wonder if a ping pong ball painted ...no forget it...not much protection...image

Looking forward to reading subsequent posts.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 47,135

And who would eat all the cake?

If you stop taking chances, you'll stay where you sit. You won't live any longer, but it'll feel like it.” 
  • LyndabLyndab Posts: 32

Little spongy balls are good - the tiny ones in different colours.  Also, in the past I have used Red Nose Day noses with pirate faces on. 

Other dangers in the garden are toxiciity of many plants - I was surprised when I looked at a toxic plant list, after I had a serious reaction to a Nicotina plant.

Not all plant sellers label correctly - so now I check the list and never garden without gloves.

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,115

Anybody in your household drink those little yoghurt drinks?  The containers slip over the top of canes - and they are free!!

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 2,978

Widgets fit snuggly ontop of canes, and if you drill a few more holes in them they can be used as the joints for netting cagesimage

• What is a widget please,Zoomer44? I do use pingpong balls(cheaper than tennis ones.) I used to use camera film  spool containers but like wine bottle corks they are hard to come by now.But I do agree, I have had quite a few close shaves  over the years but luckily still have my eyes intact! We don't realise how dangerous our gardens are.

• waterbuttswaterbutts Posts: 1,221

It's one of the few benefits of wearing glasses.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 47,135
    waterbutts wrote (see)

It's one of the few benefits of wearing glasses.

Another of the benefits is that I can see what I'm doing image

If you stop taking chances, you'll stay where you sit. You won't live any longer, but it'll feel like it.” 
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 24,925

and never staking anythingimage