Forum home Plants

how-to-prune-a-giant-bay-tree

2»

• ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,730

You could easily take out those overgrown suckers without any problems, Briggsy.

• BriggsyBriggsy Posts: 71

That's what I thought. Up to a couple of meters the bulk of the foliage is from these. which should give us the clearance we need for the shed. The rose will just have to start again as it is growing through this to get to the main tree. Guess we can't have everything!

• MowserMowser Posts: 1

How hard can I prune back my bay tree-it is more of an enormous bush than a tree but it has taken over a large part of my patio now completely blocking a raised bed that I cannot plant in at the moment-it is so healthy I love using the leaves for cooking etc but want to get it back into shape-am worried if I prune too hard I will lose it.  

• 4Kate4Kate Posts: 4

I recently bought 3 lemon verbena plants which arrived by post.  I stood them in water overnight then potted them.  Now they look dry and sad..  Is there any hope for them?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,501

Hi Kate image

I think you should start a new thread with Lemon Verbena in the title, so that people who know the plant will see it and respond.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,730

In the meantime, Kate, I don't know how advanced your LVs are, but I have one in a pot that lives on the terrace. I cut it back heavily for winter and it overwinters with protection on the terrace where it gets mighty cold. Every year when I uncover it, it  looks like it's dead - very dry, very brown. Sure enough, it bounces back every year but it's always the last plant on the terrace to spring to life. They can be deceptive. Give yours a chance.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.