is-this-the-year-of-the-dahlia

VerdunVerdun Posts: 23,348

Although not a huge fan of dahlias I have to confess to an increasing  fondness for them this year.

I have, I suppose, more than 20 growing in pots or in the garden and this year they have all been superb.  Some of them are new to me.  They have produced flowers for few weeks now and prob will do so right through to October or November

I used to think them too gaudy,brash and ungainly  but I am coming to appreciate them a little more now.

Dahlias?  Love em or hate em?

• GillyLGillyL Posts: 1,077

Used to hate them,memories of large earwig infested flowers,but have come to really like them over the last few years.

I don,t know if this year has been ideal weather for them,but as with Verdun,s this has been the best year for blooms.

• XX Posts: 707

Planted dahlias for the first time this year, 2 Bishop of Llandaff.  Not really been a fan but these were half price tubers so have them a go and must admit these ones are nice.  Doubt I'll ever have a garden full but will definitely over winter the tubers and replant next year.

• Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,820

I've discovered that they don't have to be ear wig magnets but if you buy single flower varieties they are bee magnets. have planted 4 this year, 3 from seed and the Honka shown elsewhere on forum.

Considering Bishops next year.

• SwissSueSwissSue Posts: 1,447

Never had any earwigs on my dahlias, in fact haven't seen any at all here this year.

• little-annlittle-ann Posts: 879

Can anyone tell me what the pink one is called it sould be bishop of Leicester but obviously a bit of a mix up when packed

• SwissSueSwissSue Posts: 1,447

Lovely, little-ann, don't they bring a smile to your face!

Indeed they do image

• HaisieHaisie Posts: 108

I have grown Dahlias this year - did do once a few years ago. But I will grow them again as I have a white one that is attracting so many insects that it's a beautiful sight, I have a pink one that is not attrating any insects. I wonder why they only like the white one Sorry, I don't know the names as I lost the labels The white one has numerous flowers with a lovely yellow centre and each one always has a black addition of a bee and hover flies constantly surround it!

my singles have lots of insects but not the pink frilly thing although it is a nice flower i planned to have only singles