When do you bring your tender perennials inside?

I was wondering when others bring their tender perennials into the greenhouse?  Right now my begonias, fuscias and verbena bonariensis are still flowering outside, and my dahlias are just starting to flower(!).  But I'm worried about the weather and keep on reading how now is the time to be digging up the tubers and digging up tender perennials to bring inside.  When do you tend to bring them in (I live in London).

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,806

Dahlias will flower up to the first frosts-they do not need lifting until then

A lot of plants will be fine for you are for a few weeks yet -the first frost seems to get later ever year-what I would do if if they are in containers is to ease off the watering in preparation- they are starting to slow down now anyway.

Keep an eye on the forecast is the best option-there is still a bit of flowering to come yet

• kate1123kate1123 Posts: 2,815

I would not bring my dahlias in until the first frost has hit them. I live a few miles north of you and my verbenas are happy outside all winter. The begonias and fuchsias are slightly more tricky, I have just started checking the weather for frosts and will be bringing them in as soon as they look like they are struggling.

• Do you just put your begonias in the greenhouse with no heating?

• Thanks so much for your responses and also that very helpful link!  (Apologies for the misspelling of fuchsias - I thought it looked funny!)  That's great news about the verbana - I think I'll chance it and leave it outside.  What about cosmos and salvias?  This is the first year I've grown them and not sure whether to bring them into the greenhouse.  

PurplePoppy wrote (see)

Thanks so much for your responses and also that very helpful link!  (Apologies for the misspelling of fuchsias - I thought it looked funny!)  That's great news about the verbana - I think I'll chance it and leave it outside.  What about cosmos and salvias?  This is the first year I've grown them and not sure whether to bring them into the greenhouse.  

Is that the annual red salvia?-if so easily raised from seed like cosmos-not really worth the effort-let the frost have them then dispose

• kate1123kate1123 Posts: 2,815

You may need to post a picture of the salvia, as mine survived last winter outsideimage

The frosts will kill the cosmos and you can grow new ones next year.

• They're blue salvias and I did initially think that chocolate cosmos could be treated as tender perennials?  But perhaps I'm misinformed!  I sincerely hope that the verbana will self-seed but it's in a pot (on gravel covering concrete) so not sure it'll be successful...

PurplePoppy wrote (see)

They're blue salvias and I did initially think that chocolate cosmos could be treated as tender perennials?  But perhaps I'm misinformed!  I sincerely hope that the verbana will self-seed but it's in a pot (on gravel covering concrete) so not sure it'll be successful...

Blue salvia and chocolate cosmos is a different kettle of fish from the annual varieties

Salvia survives for me outside-the cosmos doubtful.