Forum home Wildlife gardening


I had a bunch of flowers with a Lily in.  Scent was so powerful, I decided to put it in a single vase outside.

Went out shortly afterwards and it had been invaded by stripey flies, which I thought were Hornets but my other half said they are Hover Flies.

I have decided to call them HOOVER flies, because on  a real close up, it looks as though the pollen is being sucked up....!!





Does anyone know what these things are really called ?



  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,954


    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,093

    Definitely hoverflies Lyndab. Nice picimage

  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,093

    My kids used to call them horror flies when they were little

  • LyndabLyndab Posts: 32

    Thanks one and all for confirming my other half was right and I was wrong....Agh - that's another one I have lost....image


    Never mind,  they will always be HOOVER flies to me..image

Sign In or Register to comment.