Forum home Plants

Pruning Lonicera Japonica Halliana

Hi there, 

First time poster so please bare with me!

I have a Halliana Honeysuckle in my garden growing up a 6ft fence. It has been in for 2 years and has covered the majority of the fence - I am wondering, to keep it tidy, when is the best time to prune these evergreen Honeysuckles?

I have read a variety of articles online but they seem contradictory i.e prune in summer after flowering vs prune in late winter/early spring.

If anyone could offer any advice I'd be very appreciative.

Thanks,

Colin

• CeresCeres Posts: 2,691
    Welcome to the forum. I agree that the advice out there is very confusing but I managed to find this https://www.seasonalgardening.co.uk/climbers/lonicera-japonica-halliana.asp

"Prune in early spring (March), if required. Cut back old woody stems and trim back overlong shoots. Flowers are are produced on new growth."

Halliana is a thug so following the advice is one thing but keeping it in check is quite another matter. You may need to give it another trim later in the year if it looks as though it is taking over. I am currently engaged in the annual battle with the plant and I usually do all of the cutting back in spring but it can grow over and through a lot of other plants in a very short time so needs to be watched carefully. Mine is currently trying to kill a hedge.

• Thank you, this is very useful! I think the whole thing needs a bit of a haircut but luckily it's not taken over any other plants in the garden yet.

Good luck with yours, sounds like it is in need of some serious attention but at least it smells nice in summer when doing so! 
  • CeresCeres Posts: 2,691
    The scent from that plant travels across the garden and more than makes up for all the battles to keep it in check.