Forum home Problem solving

ID please.

Hi all,
Can someone please identify the foliage. I'd be most grateful.

Cheers 
BEEJAY

• punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 14,966
    ?? Thuja, but no expert on conifers.
    How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,903
    Is @Silver surfer around?  They’re pretty hot on IDs. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• RubytooRubytoo Posts: 1,595
    If the branches put on growth of around two to three feet (60 to 90 cms) a year, then maybe Leylandii , known as Leyland Cypress or Cupressus X Leylandii
    Cupressocyparis leylandii.

Neighbours complaining they are too big / cast shade...Almost definitely the above.
    Sorry :smile:

The identification details needed with these kinds of evergreens is a close up of the scales on the little sections like you have provided.
    People in the "know" can count scales and compare.

If you could possibly also take a photo of a piece with a tape measure or ruler alongside just a close up section to show the scale of the (sorry) scales, as people need to count and see how the shape of the little overlapping scaleys and they way they interlock in order to identify it.

The second image you took is nearly there. But more detail and also what is the bigger branch and bark like?

Hope that helps . Good Luck. 
  • gsdfandfgsdfandf Posts: 114
    Thanks for your input etc.
    I had a plumb tree removed late last year, methinks I'll get them to come take a look.
    I'll post up when that's done & we have a definitive answer.
  • gsdfandfgsdfandf Posts: 114
    Hi again, I had my arborists (cough) identify the tree & it's simply a conifer species. I then looked online at the Horticulture Magazine & it's a Leyland Cypress, so take a bow & spot on Rubytoo. 

Cheers all.