Forum home Wildlife gardening

What wildlife can I attract with this potential setup?

In the below picture, there are two dogwood bushes and the shrub you can see in between them is a Yew I planted yesterday to help fill the gap. On the grass patch you can see, I plan to plant some heather. Behind where I was stood to take the picture is a Norway Spruce.

So, with the dogwood, the Yew, the heather and the spruce, what kinds of wildlife could that setup potentially attract? 

• It will take a while to provide a suitable habitat along that fence line- roosting or nesting birds for eg..  Is the road well used by traffic or pedestrians ?  
    Flowering plants will often attract various bees and other insects.
    Do you have a bird table anywhere in your garden ? A pond ( even a small one ) ? Do you know what wildlife is in your vicinity ? What birds ? Hedgehogs, snakes, toads/frogs/newts/foxes/badgers/deer and so on.  Have you checked with neighbours to find out what they have seen in their gardens ? 
    Do you have a preference for what wildlife you would like to attract - birds, mammmals, reptiles, amphibians ?
    I'm sure others will have some suggestions but a bit more info would undoubtedly help.
    Good luck with your project anyway  :)
  • It will take a while to provide a suitable habitat along that fence line- roosting or nesting birds for eg..  Is the road well used by traffic or pedestrians ?  
    Flowering plants will often attract various bees and other insects.
    Do you have a bird table anywhere in your garden ? A pond ( even a small one ) ? Do you know what wildlife is in your vicinity ? What birds ? Hedgehogs, snakes, toads/frogs/newts/foxes/badgers/deer and so on.  Have you checked with neighbours to find out what they have seen in their gardens ? 
    Do you have a preference for what wildlife you would like to attract - birds, mammmals, reptiles, amphibians ?
    I'm sure others will have some suggestions but a bit more info would undoubtedly help.
    Good luck with your project anyway  :)
    The road is a quiet cul-de-sac and the garden is on a quiet side of a community center building. We aren't allowed to install any bird tables or ponds in this space. I have no particular preference in what kind of wildlife I wish to attract, however based on both my own observations and that of others in the neighborhood, there has been squirrels, pigeons, blackbirds, robins, the occasional woodpecker, starlings, hedgehogs, foxes, different moth types, several different butterfly types and despite this area being located close to a busy city centre, the very occasional deer. 
  • RedwingRedwing Posts: 1,502
    It does not look promising.  Can you make a pond?
    Based in Sussex, I garden to encourage as many birds to my garden as possible.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 14,966
    I don't want to dismiss what you have done, but the most you are likely to achieve, is somewhere for birds to perch. The Heather will provide nectar for early Bees.
    How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,903
    Individual plants don’t attract much by themselves …I think what is needed is a group of plants grown together in such a way that they’ll create a small ecosystem providing shelter and food for a selection of insects and other invertebrates … these will themselves  attract birds and small mammals who will feed on them … that way your wildlife will start to grow and you can then provide nestboxes etc. 

if you’re not allowed to have a pond or bird table, would you be able to have a birdbath?  That will attract lots of birds just as a bird table would.  A log pile in a quiet corner would also attract lots of wildlife. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,903
    edited 12 February
    Sorry … I misused the word ‘ecosystem’. … I meant to say ‘environment’  … I was very tired. My apologies 🙁

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• bcpathomebcpathome Posts: 1,302
    Creatures are not attracted to certain plants ,they are attracted to how the plants are planted and where . You need to make your plants look as though they might make a nice little home ,grouped together they make a tiny ‘wood’ for a mouse or whatever .