Forum home Plants

Day lily question

coccinellacoccinella Posts: 1,372
edited 11 February in Plants
What's eating my day lilies at this time of year? It's still cold here, but I did catch some red lily beetles last summer. Can they be around in this cold? Thanks 

Luxembourg

• punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 14,966
    Not Lilly Beetles, they don't attack Hemerocallis. Probably the usual slugs or snails.
    How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • coccinellacoccinella Posts: 1,372
    I am lucky to have a slug free garden, but I will check, thanks. I also thought of collared doves who visit a lot.

Luxembourg
    You are right @punkdoc. Here they are, this is new to me. I suppose it's been raining since October... and since I don't use blue pellets I suppose I just have to have a morning inspection. Drat.

Luxembourg
  • CeresCeres Posts: 2,691
    My money is on the doves but there are any number of tiny creatures out there in the dark that could have ventured out for an early snack.
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,016
    Classical slimester damage @coccinella.  Time to use - sparingly - some organic approved pellets and/or some beer traps.  I also find putting out upturned ceramic pots provides them with shelter where they are easily collected by day and then despatched.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • floraliesfloralies Posts: 2,690
    Is that a mulch around them? They will probably be hiding underneath 🙄
    I have discovered many and their b******s eggs under the mulch. They are the little black ones with round transparent eggs. All squashed, tomorrow morning I will inspect again. Good idea about the pot.

Luxembourg
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,016
    Different problem here @coccinella where I have more snails than slugs but the pot trick works for both and the veg plot - lots of composting and mulching - has all sorts of slugs to boot.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    I "liked" your last comment @Obelixx but then I realised that I shouldn't really 🐌.
    I have never said anything on the forum about my slug free garden, better keep quiet 😁. Three years ago they built new houses on the street and they built concrete (yes concrete) fences so the hedgehogs cannot move about anymore. Coupled with the heavy rains I believe this is the reason why I can now join in the general anguish around slugs and snails. 

Luxembourg