Forum home Plants

Verbena Bampton quick question

B3B3 Posts: 27,330
I can't remember whether V Bampton gets buds on the old twigs or just sprouts from the base .
Can anyone help?
In London. Keen but lazy.

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 12,468
    According to this you cut back to the base in Spring 
    https://www.gardenersworld.com/plants/verbena-officinalis-var-grandiflora-bampton/
  • B3B3 Posts: 27,330
    Thanks @AnniD

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,423
    the top dies off every winter

In the sticks near Peterborough
    Thank you @nutcutlet
  • JennyJJennyJ Posts: 10,449
    Mine also grow from ground level. I sometimes leave the tops on until I can see new shoots, just so I know where they are (although new self-sown ones come up in different places every year).
    Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,311
    JennyJ said:
    Mine also grow from ground level. I sometimes leave the tops on until I can see new shoots, just so I know where they are (although new self-sown ones come up in different places every year).
    I have read that the self-sown plants of Bampton do not have the dark red stems and leaves that the original plant has and that plants grown from seed have green leaves and stems.
    Have you found that?

I bought one last year that grew very quickly and flowered endlessly, so I was just wondering if the seedlings are worth saving or if I should take cuttings.

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
    The seedlings root easily in pots. No idea what they look like once fully grown as I gave them away. 
    Pete.8 said:
    JennyJ said:
    I have read that the self-sown plants of Bampton do not have the dark red stems and leaves that the original plant has and that plants grown from seed have green leaves and stems.
    Have you found that?

I bought one last year that grew very quickly and flowered endlessly, so I was just wondering if the seedlings are worth saving or if I should take cuttings.
    They can be a bit variable but a lot of them have the purple stems and leaves. I wouldn't be surprised if they're cross-pollinating with V. bonariensis which is green. I pull out any that I don't like, or are in really silly places.

• RedwingRedwing Posts: 1,502
    If there is a strong shoot at about a foot above ground I cut back to that; otherwise lower.
    Based in Sussex, I garden to encourage as many birds to my garden as possible.
    My V. Bampton don't grow much higher than a foot in total (unlike V. bonariensis). Maybe they grow taller on richer soils!