Forum home Tools and techniques

Council garden waste collection

My LA have recently started charging for this.

I just want to mention, as it may be helpful for somebody, that if you share a bin with your neighbour, and pay half each, if either of you receive any council tax discount, they may get discount on the collection charge, so it is better for them to apply, so that you can also share the discount.  

Cheshire

• philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 3,688
    Garden Waste collection has been a chargeable service here ( West Somerset ) for a number of years.  Currently £58 pa tho expected to rise for the next financial year.
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy Posts: 6,745
    We pay £70 and you can't call it annual anymore as the "Christmas" break has risen gradually from 2 weeks now up to 6 weeks. !!!!
    AB Still learning

• FireFire Posts: 18,975
    edited 9 February
    We pay about £55 for a small bin - weekly collections  - and have no breaks during the year, the pick up day changes is all.

Many of our neighbours share garden bins, formally or informally. Increasingly people ask or offer space in their garden bin. I share my bin in an ad hoc manner with about four neighbours and the system works pretty well. 

People were outraged when the charges started about five years ago and a lot of people who used to use bags point blank refused to get a bin, on principle. Our council is pretty much bankrupt and I don't think £1.50 a week is bad, esp if bin shares are on offer. We have a number of flats in the area and there is no room for a third wheelie bin. Some councils withdrew garden waste collection all together, so I am relieved they didn't do that here (North London). It would have strongly discourgaged gardening, esp for those people (like me) without car to get to the dump.
  • ViewAheadViewAhead Posts: 729
    About £70 here, for 25 collections a yr.  The local amenity tip is very nearby but they have deliberately made the green waste section as difficult as possible to use, presumably in the hope people will pay for bins rather than visit it. 

As there is a huge oak tree just outside my property, I have enough leaves to make the bin worthwhile.  
  • B3B3 Posts: 27,329
    We pay for ours. Why not? I hope they make a bit of money out of selling the compost too.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • thevictorianthevictorian Posts: 1,258
    Ours are charged for a fortnightly collection with a winter break.
  • JennyJJennyJ Posts: 10,449
    Our green waste collection stops at the end of November and restarts at the beginning of March (although this year out first collection is due to be 29 February so presumably someone thought that a whole week into March was a bit late). But we don't pay anything extra on top of what we already pay in council tax. 
    Round here most houses have gardens but most people seem to just cut grass and hedges, and lollipop any shrubs. No sign of much composting going on, and many people aren't well-off so I expect there'd be an increase in either flytipping or neglected gardens (or both) if they brought in an additional charge that people can't afford. Mine's rarely got a lot in it, just things like perennial weed roots and any thick shrub roots because I compost a lot, so although I could afford to pay extra, I probably wouldn't.

Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
  • Ours is £56 per year, but sharing with my neighbour it works out at £22 each.

As I say it has only been introduced this year. I have heard, but anecdotally, that take up is 18%.
    Cheshire
  • FireFire Posts: 18,975
    edited 9 February
     I have heard, but anecdotally, that take up is 18%.

Much less than that in our area. More like 5%, now that we have to pay,  which is a great shame as most of us have gardens of some sort.
  • B3B3 Posts: 27,329
    We've paid from the start. Practically everyone in our road has a bin.
    In London. Keen but lazy.