Forum home The potting shed

🍋HELLO FORKERS🥚Feb ‘24🥞

DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,829
edited 1 February in The potting shed
Here we are, once again at the start of another month … February the month of St Valentine’s Day when tradition has it that the birds meet up and choose their partners 💕 … and we can also look forward to Shrove Tuesday and lots of pancakes 🥞 🍋 🥚 😋 

When I was a child countryfolk would always call it February Fill-dyke because, what with the thawing snows of January and the heavy rains of February, the dykes and ditches would be full.   Even without melting snow they seem to be full up already this year 🙄

But as well as pancakes 😋 there are so many wonderful things that I love about February …  snowdrops, aconites and dancing hazel catkins, the smiling celandines and if we’re lucky we’ll see the leafless spears of Coltsfoot waiting to open their own cheerful yellow blooms …  near my little school there was a roadside bank where they grew and when I was a child I looked forward to seeing them every spring. 

So folks, we gardeners have a busy time ahead of us … catching up with all the things we meant to do last year as well as getting a move on with our spring sowing and preparing the beds and borders … but don’t forget, you need a bit of rest and relaxation with friends in the Potting Shed too, so find a comfy chair, the kettle is on, help yourself to a biscuit  … and share the bits and bobs of life, the triumphs and the tough times … our shoulders are broad, our hearts are warm … and sometimes there’s even cake … 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,829
    Good morning all 😊 ☕️ 
    We have a beautiful rosy dawn to greet the new month … and coffee has arrived … 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 5,253
    Good Morning all, and thank you for setting us up for the February thread @Dovefromabove.

As it is clear and crisp this morning, it seems that February has brought extra light - very welcome and appreciated. 

Take care all. 
    My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • Pat EPat E Posts: 12,275
    Thanks Dove.
    S. E. NSW
  • tui34tui34 Posts: 3,436
    Good morning everyone!!  A pinch and a punch.....

Great introduction to this month @Dovefromabove   I think this is the month to make those resolutions especially as far as gardening goes!!

Yes @AuntyRach    February does bring that extra light and spring seems to get closer.  I must open my seed bucket and sort things out.

I went to see my physio yesterday with x-rays and she was a taken aback just how little cartilage is left on my hip and that the surgeon doesn't want to operate yet.  Maybe next time I see him, I'll crawl in on hands and knees!!!

Some HW today which promises to be another sunny day and a warm weekend is forecast as well. 

Today's expression is: A la Saint Ignace, l'eau est de glace.

Have a pleasant day.
    A good hoeing is worth two waterings.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 23,775
    Morning all.

I can see some sunshine.

My friend was about an hour late yesterday, traffic, roadworks, the usual, but it's a long drive from North Yorkshire. We are going to Norwich today as she's never been there. I hope there will be parking. Sometimes we take the park and ride but I think the car will be better today as friend wants to see things, like the Cathedral, that will make it a bit far for OH to walk.
    Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • floraliesfloralies Posts: 2,673
    Morning all, thank you for a lovely introduction to February @Dovefromabove
    Our department was on the BBC breakfast weather this morning showing a picture of the mountains as they should be looking at this time of year with plenty of snow, and how they actually look now with none! It's crazy weather here.
    I can't believe your surgeon won't operate on you yet @tui34 that doesn't seem right at all.
    Nothing much planned for today, the usual replenishing of bird feeders which the sparrows are demolishing daily, and NDN's chickens can get their heads through the cages over the ground feeders Grrr.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,829
    edited 1 February
    @Busy-Lizzie have you tried the Monastery Court car park off  Elm Hill? A lot of folk don’t know about it … it’s  only small but you can usually get a space unless there’s a do on af St Andrews Halls … it’s right behind the main Art School building. 
    https://www.norwich.gov.uk/directory_record/856/monastery_court_car_park_nr3_1hn 
    and a very gentle stroll to Tombland and the cathedral … and the Britons Arms is very good for coffee or lunch 
    https://www.britonsarms.com/

Of course Elm Street is cobbled  but there are proper pavements to walk on. 

• didywdidyw Posts: 3,521
    Thank you for your beautiful introduction to the month @Dovefromabove. The sun is shining and all is right with the world (well, our bit of it). 

I think the problem with showing Norwich off to visitors @Busy-Lizzie, I have found anyway, is that they tend not to be so mobile and one quickly notices just how hilly the city is!  So they don't get to see everything you want them to see.  The cathedral always impresses!

Hope everyone is having a lovely day.
    Gardening in East Suffolk on dry sandy soil.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Posts: 12,367
    Morning everybody. Thanks for the February introduction @Dovefromabove. I immediately feel more cheerful as soon as January's finished, even more so today as the sun is shining so I must get out and do something!

First thing is to sort the porch out as the rug I had in there was absolutely soaking  when we got home yesterday and I think water has somehow seeped through the single blockwall between the porch and the water butt. It's a peculiar set up (the butt's on a higher level) so needs investigating.

Hope you enjoy your trip to Norwich @Busy-Lizzie, I've only been once a long time ago so don't remember it at all.

@tui34, could you ask your physio to write to your hip consultant? It's outrageous he/she's put off the operation when you're in such pain.

Have a good day all.
    North East Somerset - Clay soil over limestone