Forum home Plants

Laying a patio with plants in

2»

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,819
    Definitely - dry cold is far easier for plants than wet cold, especially when it's long term.

I suppose we should also have asked @lila.dinner196553 where she is. It helps with advice, especially with something like an Olive, as they won't be suited to every area of the country, because of those varying conditions. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 5,689
    I would ask the landscapers to leave some gaps in the paving, by omitting slabs or multiples of slabs. Perhaps show them some pictures (such as the ones below) so they understand what you want to achieve.

With the best will in the world it is probably best to go in afterwards and prepare the planting holes yourself, as landscapers tend to not be particularly sensitive to the needs of plants. If the planting holes are compacted and poorly draining, we will be able to give you advice as to how to proceed... there are plenty of things you can do. If your underlaying soil is naturally free draining, you might be ok.

"What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbour". 
  • PlantmindedPlantminded Posts: 3,483
    pansyface said:
    And ask them to leave you the slabs that are “missing”.  They will come in very handy when you change your mind two years down the line. 😊

They won’t match in two years’ time unless you leave them outdoors to weather 😊.
    Wirral. Sandy, free draining soil.