Forum home Plants

How to conserve/prepare external planter for Winter

2»

• FireFire Posts: 19,000
    Were you asking for help with the physical planter or the plants inside it? 

I think your plants will be fine there until spring. Then consider moving some of them to bigger spaces (if you have them) or reconsider some of the plant choices. It looks lovely at the moment.
  • PlantmindedPlantminded Posts: 3,515
    edited October 2023
    Your Acer will lose its leaves, as it is a deciduous plant . The Nandina is evergreen, the leaves will change colour as the temperature drops.  The grass or sedge and the lavender are also evergreen. Your mint and sage are also hardy and will keep their leaves although the mint may look a bit untidy. The small pink flowered plant looks like a Brachyscome which may return next year if the winter is mild. Keep the compost moist over winter, but not wet. In spring they should all start to grow again. By then, you’ll need to think about putting some of them in larger containers or pots with suitable soil/compost as described by @Fairygirl. There’s no need to provide insulation for your plants unless we have a really harsh winter. In that case, some horticultural fleece over your plants will help to protect them. If you are still unsure at that time, post again with another photo for more advice.
    Wirral. Sandy, free draining soil.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,905
    I wasn't sure of that shrub @Plantminded - so that's great that you IDd it. Not suitable for a small container like that though.
    The problem with a layer of gravel in the base is that it doesn't necessarily help with drainage @hectoralamone01328. Not sure what you mean about an outlet either. If it's just a pipe at one end or similar, that won't work very well as water can still be retained in the container itself. Plants need drainage all along the base of a trough like that, especially those which need really sharp drainage. The sage and lavender for example.
    There isn't much you'd need to do over winter - deciduous plants like the Acer will drop their foliage, and then colour up again in spring. There would be no need to water any of them if rain can get into the container. You'll have to monitor that though, for the reasons already given.
    How well any of them do will depend on your climate, but most of those are hardy enough. We would have to see photos of individual plants to be more accurate with IDs and therefore how well they'll thrive. The problem is how well they might cope next year. Any container needs more maintenance than plants in the ground. 

I think you'll need to remove several of those, and then look at having plants which all like the same growing conditions. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Thanks!