Forum home The potting shed

🎃HELLO FORKERS 🧙‍♀️October’23 👻

• Evening all,

Good luck @Hostafan1, cool if it all works out. 

My duvet is still on the line, I must rescue it. A great long to do list, getting nowhere, did manage 4 Xmas Puddings, 3 Bakewell Tarts, 48 cupcakes and a coffee and walnut, ironing still very much on the to do list, will they care in Crete....?

Hugs to all. 
    • “Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?” —Betsy Cañas Garmon
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,881
    edited October 2023
    Evening all,

…. ironing still very much on the to do list, will they care in Crete....?
    They won’t give a tinker’s cuss @D0rdogne_Damsel … crumpled linen etc is de rigeur on holiday  🏖 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• coccinellacoccinella Posts: 1,370
    edited October 2023
    Good morning all

Have a fab time in crumpled clothes @D0rdogne_Damsel! Who cares? 

We are having the most fantastic weather I can hardly believe it, sunny but not hot. Bliss. OH did the heavy stuff in the garden yesterday and I the light bits.
    Today I have my bone density scan and will see the rheumatologist who will have to do something about my painful back. Tomorrow is the tooth surgeon.

Luxembourg
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,881
    Good morning all 😊  ☕️ we’ve slept in 🥱 
    Son has a later start today so no need for us to scurry around this morning.  It looks as if the rain is going to hang around here until lunchtime then we’ll have some sunshine. I must test my last years broad bean seeds for viability this week …

Good luck with the scan @coccinella    👍 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Good morning everyone,  a brighter start this morning,  the rain yesterday eve has cleared the clouds a bit. We had some quiet heavy bursts of rain but I don't think we got that much. I've started to clear the half plot in preparation to vacate.
    AB Still learning

• didywdidyw Posts: 3,532
    @Dovefromabove has slept in - I feel like I am up at the crack of dawn for a 9.30am meeting!  But just as well, I need to be in training for a 6.45am start when we have the street market a week on Sunday.  It's hard to train night owls into larks.

Good luck with the bone scan today @coccinella.  Don't worry about crumpleness @D0rdogne_Damsel.

Cracking storm last night.
    Gardening in East Suffolk on dry sandy soil.
  • tui34tui34 Posts: 3,439
    Good afternoon!

Sunny here too @coccinella although woke up to a very dreary morning of misty weather and 23°C!!  Went down to my Swiss Ball lesson at 9am  and during the lesson, there was a good dose of rain!!  I hadn't covered my bike saddle so had a little damp seat all the way home!!

Then planted out some spinach seedlings which were left over from a young friend who was desperate to have a "vegetable" garden!!  I started her off with lettuces, spinach and she wanted beetroot.  So be it.  The nice lady at the nursery gave her 17 plugs of spinach for the 12 she asked for - each plug containing 3 to 4 seedling!  I have netted for the feathered friends but the snails are really a d*** nuisance.

I thinned out some of the Pak Choy and cut some beetroot leaves which I fried in a little butter and olive oil to accompany my bit of fish for lunch.  I too, have prolific carrot and beetroot leaves but there doesn't seem to be much happening down under!!  Too much nitrogen probably.   Maybe cutting off some beetroot leaves will encourage them for form bulbs. (Hopefully said!!) 

The sun has come out and the wind has come up but I am staying put inside.  Tired after physio yesterday - the torture chamber - exercise lesson this morning and planting.  Change of season out of sorts tired!!  Or maybe getting to 28 I should slow down.

Enjoy the rest of the day everyone.

A good hoeing is worth two waterings.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 23,828
    I went to Specsavers this morning, 2 yearly check up. Pleased with the test results. I don't need new glasses for reading or driving and my eyes are better than average for someone my age.

I had a bit of shopping to do for NDN and OH wanted to go to the computer shop so we had cider and 3 sharing small plates at the pub in the town. The plates of food weren't very small and they were delicious so we'll have something light tonight.
    Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Posts: 12,399
    Afternoon all, after really heavy rain and wind last night, woke up to sunshine so I decided to pop in to town to return an item to M & S. Bit worried how to do it on my phone but it worked ok so I treated myself to a latte and cake in their cafe. Had a mooch around but couldn't see anything I really, really wanted to buy. Why on earth do they trot out the same hideous neon green and orange clothes every autumn? 

Back home, I had a late lunch and watched ETTC, didn't think the couple would end up buying the house by the river - the flood insurance must be astronomical on the Somerset Levels.

@coccinella,  good luck with the bone scan, I'm still waiting for the results of mine, might take 8 weeks I was told. Also best wishes for the tooth extraction tomorrow.

@Busy-Lizzie, that's good news about your eye-test and sharing plates seem to be the way to go.

@Ergates, could I just pick your brains please?  Is there a reason why I suddenly seem to be biting my tongue on the left hand side of my mouth, it's getting quite painful but I can't see any missing teeth or crumbled fillings. Very strange.
    North East Somerset - Clay soil over limestone
  • ErgatesErgates Posts: 2,900
    edited October 2023
    Poor @Lizzie27. Really uncomfortable, I’ve done it myself. If it’s just a very recent issue, a common cause is that you bite your tongue once ( eating too fast or just bad luck) but then the tongue stays swollen, gets in the way of the teeth and gets bitten again! Some Corsydyl mouthwash can help to stop it getting infected and hurry up the healing. Sometimes the tongue can get bitten during the night, if you are a teeth grinder, or if you lie in such a way that your jaw is pushed out of place. Usually each bite heals up in no more than a week, as long as it doesn’t get bitten again. Hope that helps? If it’s going on longer, better get it checked out ( if you’ve got access to a dentist, that is)

Check also that there are no unexplained swellings on your tongue, apart from the bite. If your tongue has become swollen for some other reason, that would put it in danger of getting bitten more easily. Def get that looked at. 
    Hope that helps?
This discussion has been closed.