Forum home Plants

Fox and cubs

• B3B3 Posts: 27,324
    So long as you're not trying to grow grass or anything else nearby, it's probably ok. A mature plant will spread it's leaves dead flat on the ground with a large diameter around the plant. These will eventually connect up with others. This completely stops anything else from growing nearby.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Thanks for that info. @B3
    That might work in my favour as I'm trying to weaken the grass on that mound.
    I've had yellow rattle growing there for a few years now to try and address the balance of wildflowers to grass.

Then again .... it could end badly  :#

Bee x
    Gardener and beekeeper in beautiful Scottish Borders  

A single bee creates just one twelfth of a teaspoon of honey in her lifetime
  • I know this as Pilosella aurantiaca...common name Fox and cubs.
    I love this...gorgeous colour..... but never been brave enough to allow it in into the garden.
    Leaves are hairy.

Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • Lovely photographs @Silver surfer

Well I've sent for the seeds .... and will try and get some plug plants going so that I can get them planted next spring.

Yikes!

Will report back once it's been in a while.

Bee x

• wild edgeswild edges Posts: 10,448
    I grabbed a tiny pinch of seeds on my walk tonight. Are there any specific growing instructions or can I just chuck then into flats in the greenhouse?
    If you can keep your head, while those around you are losing theirs, you may not have grasped the seriousness of the situation.
  • Hi @wild edges

The Chiltern Seeds page says ...

Germination Instructions

Sow indoors at any time, sow under glass in spring. Surface sow onto moist, well-drained seed compost. Ideal temp. 10-16°C. Germination takes 21-30 days approx. If germination has not occurred after 4 weeks cold stratify. Move to 4°C for 2-4 weeks then return to warmth for germination. Transplant seedlings when large enough to handle to 8cm pots and grow on. Acclimatise and plant out after danger of frost has passed.

So sound pretty easy going.

I think I'll sow mine in modules with the hope of getting some plug plants.

Good luck with yours.

Bee x

• I too am ignoring @B3's advice and planting them in my wildflower bit. 🤠 I have a patch on the path beside the pond and a pot with loads in it which I'll split. It'll be fine...I have a flamethrower! 🤓
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,844
    It grows in every grass verge round here, with various other planting. Clay soil. 
    I passed a house yesterday. Typical of the area - a steep front garden, with the top area terraced and the rest just a grassy slope down to the pavement. It had a lovely display of fox and cubs, all nicely dispersed on it, as if planted individually.  :)
    I love it. I collected some seed last year from a patch at the corner of a lane between houses, where it was growing in the gravelly debris between the house boundary and the pavement, so it obviously doesn't mind about the soil too much
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • I have a clump growing in a gravely, rock hard piece of ground. I can't remember if I originally bought a couple of plugs but the plant has been there for a number of years and I like it and the flowers. It hasn't spread much nor become a nuisance.
  • Thanks @janetfoss,

Good to know it's behaved itself for you.
    I do want it to spread around a good bit as it's a big area .... but not to aim for world domination. 

But then plants don't always read the script do they!
    Might need a loan of that flamethrower @plant pauper  :#

Bee x