Forum home Fruit & veg

Tomatoes

Hi, just started growing some tomato plants, grown them from seed in utility room and planted them outdoors last weekend. The leaves which were fine are not looking quite right and don’t know if this is normal or a problem. If anyone knows any advice would be appreciated 

• barry islandbarry island Posts: 1,840
    The white patches look like sunburn did they get hardened off.
  • chrisbartschrisbarts Posts: 3
    Hi Barry, thank you for your help, no they went straight from being indoors to outside
  • parkgatemanparkgateman Posts: 50
    I am no expert . I would think that a few of the leaves have been damaged by overnight cold temperatures . The rest of the plant looks ok  .
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,889
    Yes - they'd need some acclimatising - especially if going outside rather than a greenhouse @chrisbarts . Toms need reasonably consistent double figures over night to thrive, so that's the main thing to consider. They've had a bit of a shock  :)
    It was 3 degrees here last night, so needless to say -mine are still undercover, and will stay that way all season to ensure a reliable crop. If I have too many some will be outside in as sheltered a site as possible, and they'll have to take what comes. That's the other thing to remember - not every location is ideal for outdoor growing  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • chrisbartschrisbarts Posts: 3
    Thanks for all the comments, all noted