Forum home Fruit & veg

Horizontal cherry tomatoes

EmerionEmerion Posts: 581
I remember someone (Bob Flowerdew?), saying that he trains his cherry tomatoes horizontally for a better yield per plant. I’ve never been able to find an explanation of what this means. For a few years I’ve been allowing 3 leaders, instead of 1, and training each one out from the centre at an angle, wrapped around a dangling string - sort of half-horizontal. It’s worked pretty well,  but they take up a lot of space. Does anyone know what horizontal training is meant to look like? 
Carmarthenshire (mild, wet, windy). Loam over shale, very slightly sloping, so free draining. Mildly acidic or neutral.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,317
    I've never heard of it, but did come across this vid-
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ImOAcigUgI

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • EmerionEmerion Posts: 581
    Thanks  @Pete.8, I’ve had a look, and he seems to be doing what I’m doing, only in a far more organised fashion. 
    Carmarthenshire (mild, wet, windy). Loam over shale, very slightly sloping, so free draining. Mildly acidic or neutral.

• pinutpinut Posts: 191
    I have tried this method, only trained more regimented and neater than the man showed in the video. His planting foilage density would encourage blight if grown outdoors under typical UK weather conditions that is why it needs to be more regimented and neater.

Yield according to weight per plant is approximately the same if grown vertically vs horizontally. You may get more tomatoes but they will be smaller.