Forum home Fruit & veg

Sweetcorn spacing in raised beds

We have some sweetcorn seedlings growing, what do you think a good spacing would be in these raised beds? There are 1m x 1m sections. I was thinking 4 in each, probably 8 in total. 

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 23,800
    I plant sweetcorn 20 cms apart so that means 16 plants in each of your square beds. However, some people plant nearer 30cms apart which would mean about 9 plants in each bed. I'm in SW France so the hot summers help, but they do need quite a bit of watering.
    Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,574
    I plant 30cm ( a foot)  apart on a square grid pattern . They need to be fairly close as they are wind polllinated.  The more the merrier.
  • tomhumftomhumf Posts: 65
    Ok I read the 30cm spacing, thought I'd need the same spacing to the edges though. I'll try 9 in each then I guess, thanks . 
  • Jenny_AsterJenny_Aster Posts: 936
    Square foot gardening recommends 4 to a foot. 
    Trying to be the person my dog thinks I am! 

Cambridgeshire/Norfolk border.
  • jenny square foot garden list 4 different spacing for
    sweet corn depending on plant size type. 
    jenny square foot garden list 4 different spacing for
    sweet corn depending on plant size type. 
    Also on depth and quality of soil/compost and optimal climate. This is what makes gardening fascinating. 

Love the idea of the 'three sisters' method where a climbing bean is sown next to a sweetcorn stalk. The bean provides nutrients ie nitrogen, and the sweetcorn provides support. The other 'sister' is a squash that provides shade for roots in return for nutrients and support.

Experiment, and have fun. Our ancient ancestors knew a thing or two.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,860
    Monty was planting sweetcorn out in his raised beds on GW on
    Friday. he planted Romanesco courgettes among them. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,789
    The only thing I'd add is - there's not a lot of room in between some of the beds, so you may want to take that into consideration when you plant, so that you're not risking damage to anything when you're moving along those narrow paths.
    It'll also depend what you have in the other beds.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 23,800
    I tried the 3 sisters method. Didn't work. The squash took up too much room and bullied the corn and beans. The corn was unhappy with beans growing on them. The beans needed a narrower stem to twist around abd the corn wasn't tall enough. The corn stole too much sunlight from the squash. Daft idea!
    Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
    I tried the 3 sisters method. Didn't work. The squash took up too much room and bullied the corn and beans. The corn was unhappy with beans growing on them. The beans needed a narrower stem to twist around abd the corn wasn't tall enough. The corn stole too much sunlight from the squash. Daft idea!
     :D Sorry for laughing, the way you wrote it just tickled me.