Forum home Fruit & veg

How deep to plant beetroot seeds?

EscapetothegardenEscapetothegarden Posts: 188
edited May 2023 in Fruit & veg
Good morning! 🌱

I planted some beetroot recently. At the time, I read conflicting info regarding how deep to plant them.

RHS online - 2.5cm
RHS (pack of seeds) - 1.5cm
Gardeners world online - 1cm

The type I played were boltardy.

I sowed them some weeks back and they haven’t germinated. I had a poke around this morning in one of the pots and I can see one of the seeds has opened.

I’m a bit worried they were too deep.

Can anyone offer any insight into sowing depths?

There’s nothing I can do really is there, I don’t want to disturb the seed either.

Do seeds need light at all?

Thank you 🌱

• JennyJJennyJ Posts: 10,472
    I grow beetroot as a cut-and-come-again salad leaf so I sow them fairly thickly (maybe an inch or 1.5 inches apart) and about half an inch deep, and they germinate fine. I don't know whether it would be different if you want the roots - presumably they'd need more space between plants but I think I'd stick with half an inch for depth.
    Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
  • Thank you! @JennyJ Perhaps the conditions weren’t perfect and they are just taking their time!
  • what type soil are you planting the beets. 
    did scarify the seed pods. 
  • EscapetothegardenEscapetothegarden Posts: 188
    edited May 2023
    what type soil are you planting the beets. 
    did scarify the seed pods. 
    Thank you @war garden 572 Multi purpose compost (which I didn’t sieve - beginner! 👀)

Just googled this - didn’t know it was a thing! Is it recommended for beetroot seeds? 
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,024
    I've had problems sowing beetroot direct so now do it them in modular trays using a good seed compost.   I put one seed cluster in each module and cover with compost to the depth of the seeds.   

This year I've done Choggia and Boltardy and had good germination rates and have just planted them out so time to sow some more as I like to eat the leaves in salads and not let the roots get too big.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • JennyJJennyJ Posts: 10,472
    I've never scarified beetroot seeds and they germinate well for me so I don't see any need to bother   :).
    Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,024
    As I indicated above they are a custer, not individual seeds, and I always get 2 or 3 plantlets so I'm not sure which bit you could scarify.  The only thing I can think of that might improve germination is soaking them in cool water before sowing.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • i scarify the clusters with a nail file. 
     or crack clusters open to get seeds
    out or you can buy pelleted seed that
    has already removed the seeds from cluster. 
  • Thank you everyone for sharing.  I planted them in individual small pots (three to a pot).  As my tomatoes took a long time to germinate it must have been the compost/not warm enough.  Let’s see what happens over the next week or so!
  • nick615nick615 Posts: 1,481
    I'd endorse your choice of variety, with the possible addition of Cylindra.  All I've ever done is dig the soil well, rake to a fine consistency, draw out a drill of about 1.5 inches, spread a light layer of chicken manure pellets along the length, water well so that the pellets 'fluff up', sprinkle my seed along the drill and back fill.  Always worked for me.