Forum home Fruit & veg

Tomatoes

Am i useing too much nitrogen?  Lots of leaves not many fruits?

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190
    You don’t need to feed tomatoes until the first little fruits set,  then something high in potash to encourage more flowers. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• jamesholtjamesholt Posts: 580
    Thank you
    rats!

• actually phosphorus is better at encouraging blooms. not
    potash. 
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,315
    Wow - that's quite a tangle you have there @jamesholt
    I can't see such weak plants being able to hold much in the way of fruit.
    Each plant needs lots of sun on it to grow strongly. With that tangle, the stems will be struggling to reach the light, so they'll be thin and weak and unable to take the weight of the fruits.

I'd imagine the whole lot will collapse when the fruits start to swell.
    There's not much space for air to get around so your plants may get blight.
    I'd suggest try and thin it all out so there's some space and air for the plants and let the sun get at them to strengthen them up.

They don't need any feed at all until the first fruits start to develop, then use a tomato feed as directed on the label.

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • BenCottoBenCotto Posts: 4,691

The cages might be part of the problem as it would be a faff to get in there and pinch out side shoots, something I suspect was not done. You might have to write off this year’s crop as an experiment that failed. Next year be more attentive to thinning out and water regularly with tomato feed according to the dosage suggested on the bottle. Irregular watering leads to diseased split fruits.
    Rutland, England
    The tomatoes are really coming in!!!  So far for big tomatoes.  1.  Brandywine.  2.  Mortgage lifter.
    Brandywine vs kellogs breakfast