Forum home Garden design

“Entrance” to seating area

LatimerLatimer Posts: 1,065
Hi all (again)

I was considering creating a little “entrance” to this seating area by using some topiary. I’ve thought of 3 options:

Ilex or pittosporum or similar topiary pyramids

Or a corner block of low evergreen hedging, again Ilex possibly

Or maybe a couple of Bay standards

Thought anyone? At the moment there’s not much that would have to be moved. 
I’ve no idea what I’m doing. 

• RBMancRBManc Posts: 58
    Nice illustrations! I like the idea of the bay standards :) if you had them in pots you could leave the nigella (I think) already growing there to seed around the base of the pot and it would have a nice feel to it. 
  • LatimerLatimer Posts: 1,065
    It would certainly be the easiest one to implement. 

And thanks for the compliment regarding the illustrations! iPads are useful tools 😊
  • RuthmshawRuthmshaw Posts: 45
    Standard roses?
    A standard rose? There’s something I didn’t know existed. 

That’s now given me another idea, would an arch with a climbing roses look completely out of place?
  • PlantmindedPlantminded Posts: 3,491
    edited May 2023
    I like your pyramids, a shape I don’t have in my garden and now think I should!  An arch is another option but check whether it might block some of the sun to your sitting area when covered with a climber.  I’d avoid the bay lollipops, sometimes it’s difficult getting the stems of a pair at exactly the same angle and height, which can be disconcerting!
    Wirral. Sandy, free draining soil.

@Plantminded thanks for the advice regarding the lollipops, I’ll beat that in mind. 

I’m also tempted by the pyramids but I know I’m giving myself more work. The funny thing is I wrote pyramid but drew a cone and definitely had a cone in mind at the time but now I think a pyramids would both look better and be easier to keep in shape. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,872
    Pick what you like - it's your space  :)
    Easier in the ground, regardless of what you choose, but you can always use pots if you fancy a change at certain times of year. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • JennyJJennyJ Posts: 10,460
    In that position I think either the rectangular blocks of clipped hedge or a rectangular (not curved) arch, to mirror the shape of the window in the fence/screen.
    Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze Posts: 5,637
    @Latimer You could try two of your molinias will need to water well if dry. It would give you a change in leaf shape.
     Retired Gardener, new build garden, clay soil, South Notts.

The more I garden the less I know but the more pleasure I get from it. Monty Don 
    @Fairygirl fancy explaining that to my wife? :lol:

@JennyJ I've gone off the arch now. The opening in the screen and the postiion of the circular seating area don't really match and adding a third element not lining up would set my OCD off too much! I'm definitely still keen on the block of clipped hedge though. 

@GardenerSuze those Molina already give me enough anxiety when they leave me big gaps in spring, I'm not sure I could wait for them to appear to make my doorway!