Forum home Garden design

Here's my newly-created desert / arid bed

greatnorthernexoticgreatnorthernexotic Posts: 116
edited May 2023 in Garden design
This is a project I've been itching to get on with, and the fair weather recently gave me the opportunity. This part of the garden was previously lawn, and then the kids' trampoline lived here for a number years. 

I created a raised bed with railway sleepers, and filled it with gravel. I've planted hardy or semi hardy arid plants that will enjoy the sunny position and ample drainage. In winter, I'll build a shelter to keep out the winter rain. I'll be tinkering with the planting when I can source specific wishlist plants that I know will do well here. 

And most importantly, it brings me a lot of joy to sit on the patio and admire my tiny Yorkshire desert.

Anyone else tried something similar?

You can see more of it in the first part of this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQidcp1J2qg

Growing tropical and desert plants outdoors in West Yorkshire
INSTAGRAM/ YOUTUBE

• LoxleyLoxley Posts: 5,690
    It looks great. If I had more space I would try it! In Sheffield botanical garden they have a bed of Yucca rostrata with some type of electric blue flowered salvia... it looks incredible.
    "What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbour". 
  • punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 14,966
    There's a superb sand bed at York Gate gardens in Leeds, can't find my photos.
    How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • Thanks @Loxley and @punkdoc, both gardens are not too far for me so I'll add both to my garden visit list for this summer!  :)
    Growing tropical and desert plants outdoors in West Yorkshire
    INSTAGRAM/ YOUTUBE
  • CeresCeres Posts: 2,691
    That's a very nice desert bed.