Forum home Fruit & veg

Top.of My cherry tree

Here is a picture of my young cherry tree... I bought it last spring. I think it's doing well apart from the top.whixh looks dead. Should I cut the dead part off? Is it actually dead? Any advice would be most welcome 

• btb3312btb3312 Posts: 11

• steephillsteephill Posts: 2,835
    Looks dead to me so I would cut it off. You can also trim off the lowest two branches which also look dead. I suggest that you remove the grass from around the base to give a clear area of about 1 metre in diameter. That will help reduce competition for water and encourage a stronger tree.
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,789
    Exactly what I'd say @steephill:)
    Many of them are grafted, so there's also the possibility that the healthy branches are from the rootstock, but it's not possible to see from the pic.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • steephillsteephill Posts: 2,835
    I think I can see the graft just at grass level but I could just be fooling myself. Again.
  • btb3312btb3312 Posts: 11
    Thanks for the comments... I'm pretty sure the healthy bit is cherry... The flowers look like it :)
    how far down should.i cut it? Will this mean it won't grow.taller or will new.growth appear?
  • pinutpinut Posts: 190
    Another option is to leave the dead trunk on the tree for a year and use it as stake support for a new leader branch.

Tie the top right branch and carefully pull it to the vertical against the dead trunk to form a new leader. This will eventually become the new central trunk. Afterwards, cut off the dead trunk.