Forum home Garden design

Ideas for a beginner!!

officehgo_P6bpofficehgo_P6bp Posts: 7
edited May 2023 in Garden design

• I have a little concrete pad in a corner under a tree. Any ideas what to do with this corner please? It is windy where we live and chilly!

• alfharris8alfharris8 Posts: 513
    @officehgo_P6bp - I take it the concrete is staying?
    I might help the forum if you could give a rough idea of what part of the country you are in (we are a nosey lot 😊).
  • JennyJJennyJ Posts: 10,464
    Ideal base for a shed, or maybe a greenhouse if it's a sunny corner. Or maybe a good place for compost bins.
    Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
  • WaterbutWaterbut Posts: 329
    Place large colourful pots on it and fill them with your favourite plants. Had the same in my last garden. Neighbour said there had been a shed there.
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,891
    It really depends on how you want to use the garden. 
    Ideal for a shed etc, as already mentioned. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Thanks folks, I would like to go down the line of lots of pots, any ideas what plants best for a shady and often windy corner in South Scotland.
  • alfharris8alfharris8 Posts: 513
    @officehgo_P6bp
    We are at the opposite end of the UK to you but also have strong wind at times.
    I would love to have Acers in pots but they just get burnt and ruined by wind. I appreciate you were looking for recommendations but cautionary tales can be helpful too.
  • PlantmindedPlantminded Posts: 3,494
    It’s probably best to use large pots to make maintenance easier if you can, using a soil based compost.  Plants which tolerate shade and wind in my garden include Phormium, Hydrangea, Fargesia, Erigeron karvinskianus, Euphorbia and Arbutus unedo. Apart from the Hydrangea and Erigeron, they are all evergreen.  You could also  place a few large cobbles amongst your pots to create extra interest, or maybe a bird bath.
    Wirral. Sandy, free draining soil.

• Many thanks for all the tips.
  • B3B3 Posts: 27,340
    How about nibbling away some grass to make a flower bed? I would go for curved ( but then I don't like straight edges in the garden). You could plant some low growing things to soften the edges and put your pots and containers on the concrete behind.
    In London. Keen but lazy.