Forum home Fruit & veg

Timing of compost addition to vege beds

One thing I have always wanted to know but strangely have never asked, is how long before the planting out out of summer vege seedlings should I be adding my homemade compost to the soil? I have made my own hot compost mix in bins for years now and use this in my vege gardens every year but am unsure if there is an optimal amount of time that I should be leaving it in the soil first in order for it to be at its best and most useful to the plants I want it to support? Is there a general or "standard" amount of time eg: dig in 2 months before planting or add as I plant etc?"
I realise this probably varies according to a number of factors, but is there a general "rule of thumb" for this process?
Curiously yours
g
New Plymouth
NZ

• war  garden 572war garden 572 Posts: 662
    edited May 2023
    as soon as the compost stops rotting and producing heat. 
  • Brilliant! Couldn't be simpler could it? One of those "the answer was staring me right in the face" situations! Cheers War Garden..much appreciated...
    g
  • nick615nick615 Posts: 1,480
    At any time there is likely to be worm activity, e.g. no frost and enough moisture, they'll do the job for you.  Think of Nature.  
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,864
    Autumn and spring 👍 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• gordonpitcairn obviously the right answer.