Forum home Garden design

Beginnings of a pot garden

M33R4M33R4 Posts: 291
My pots over past years were in no particular order around the patio where the eye would catch them. However, having seen how people create whole corners of beautiful pots in their garden I thought I'd start my own this year. I will need to source some items to create height without breaking the bank so sadly chimney stacks are out even though I would love one. 

I wish I could garden all year round!

• TheGreenManTheGreenMan Posts: 1,957

This was my attempt before I moved to a house with a garden. 

I do miss my little yard sometimes. 
  • M33R4M33R4 Posts: 291

Wow! Love it!
  • M33R4M33R4 Posts: 291

Wow! Love it!
  • wild edgeswild edges Posts: 10,462
    You can stand pots up on bricks or another pot turned upside down to create height. I'm doing the opposite this year and cutting down on pots due to pests and the amount of watering needed. I don't have enough shade in my garden sadly.
    If you can keep your head, while those around you are losing theirs, you may not have grasped the seriousness of the situation.
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,872
    I also do as @wild edges does with putting pots up on something else, depending on the viewpoint they'll have. I do that especially for winter views from the house. I switch them around too according to what's growing etc.

@debs has a largely 'potted' garden, so she might offer some photos.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • debs64debs64 Posts: 5,132
    I would say go for the very biggest pots you can, I got half barrels for £20 each from Facebook and use good soil and be prepared for lots of watering and feeding but I do love my pots. I grow most things successfully. Honeysuckle has been my only real failure. 
  • TheGreenManTheGreenMan Posts: 1,957
    I used bricks, old sink bowls, logs, stumps, an old stool etc to stand things on towards the back. The plants in front then disguised the fact they were there. 

Watering, especially when it was hot and/or windy was sometimes a chore but definitely worth it. 
  • B3B3 Posts: 27,334
    I'd stick a pot of begonia glowing embers in the mouth of the chiminea. If it didn't work, you could always put it somewhere else.
    In London. Keen but lazy.