Forum home Garden design

Best trellis

Hi all,

So I've been out looking at some replacement trellis for my 2 climbing roses against the side of the house. Is there any benefit between square and diamond and the size of the holes?  I'm having a toss up with these 3 with the preference being the middle one. Slightly more expensive at £40 but think it looks nice.  The only difference I can see with the fence top ones is that they look more like a fence panel/rustic.

Many thanks

• nick615nick615 Posts: 1,481
    Would plastic covered wire have a better life expectancy?
  • Butterfly66Butterfly66 Posts: 964
    I don’t think there’s any real difference, other than aesthetics. I guess smaller holes might be more fiddly when tying in?
     If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.”—Marcus Tullius Cicero
    East facing, top of a hill clay-loam, cultivated for centuries (7 years by me). Birmingham
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,872
    I use trellis with very small holes, and it's horizontal/vertical rather than the diamond - purely because I prefer that. Just aesthetics. I also make my own from roofing battens which is quite easy, much sturdier, and much cheaper.  ;)
    I don't grow roses though - so , as @Butterfly66 says - it may be trickier for tying in, although I don't think the holes look that small - much bigger than the bought trellis I have.

The last one looks pretty lightweight in terms of quality, so I would tend to avoid that.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • stuarta99stuarta99 Posts: 235
    Ok thanks and yeah I think I'll go for the diamond one in the middle the forest garden diamond as it does look stronger. I'll also be using battens top and bottom this time so it's not flush against the wall and is the theory to let the rose go in and out of the holes or just tie it to the front like I have been
    Yes - always better to have them on battens to get that gap between trellis and wall. Good airflow then, which helps all plants, but probably even more important for roses  :)

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,923
    Much better to tie the rose to the trellis … if a shoot goes in behind it, it may well not come back out again and you don’t want the rose growing between the trellis and the wall. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

Thanks guys. Now I know what I'm doing this weekend
    All done and changed over

Before

After

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Posts: 12,421
    A much better job!
    North East Somerset - Clay soil over limestone
    Good job @stuarta99 :)
    No offence, but - that other stuff shouldn't be allowed to be sold IMO. Not fit for any purpose, let alone for putting climbers on. Glad you got it changed!