Forum home Fruit & veg

Mystery tomato disease

I have some very sad looking tomato plants. I have researched long and hard to try and identify the disease my young tomato plants have but nothing seems to fit the bill. 

I have attached a couple of photos of the aforementioned plants.

Does anyone have any idea what it might be? I know that it could be one of the fungal infections but from what I've seen online it doesn't seem to match. We also had a little frost recently. Could that be the problem?

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,872
    edited April 2023
    Are they outdoors?
    Are you in the UK? They wouldn't survive outside at this time of year if you are. They're not hardy. If you had frost - that's what it is. Frost damage looks exactly like that - even just being too cold affects foliage.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • I'm in Ireland, in the Midlands. They're in a polytunnel. There has been wide ranges of temperatures, cold at night and warm in the polytunnels during the day due to sun. 
  • philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 3,695
    Certainly looks as if the cold has affected them.  If you aren't already doing so, I would suggest you fleece them  overnight and remove  during the day.
    Mine are in an unheated GH ( SW UK ) and that is what I'm doing.  They are a bit slow but otherwise OK.
  • Thank you
  • Funny isn't it ?  Men went to the moon 55 years ago and yet we're still waiting on a tomato plant that can stand a bit of cold.  Talk about getting our priorities wrong !  :)
    When there's always biscuits in the tin, where's the fun in biscuits ?
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190
    Winston I’m sure they’re working on it, GM with polar bears,  camellias,  penguins, deep water fish.
    We’ll soon have tomatoes all year round without a greenhouse.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

They need reasonably consistent temps overnight @fpwollen56dJzATF - double figures, in order to thrive. Fluctuating temps are always a problem, especially with young plants.

In colder/wetter areas, they have to be grown undercover all the time, but this time of year can vary enormously when plants are young/small, and they're very vulnerable when they have a lot of soft new growth if they've had a lot of heat to get to that stage   :)

They're half hardy plants here in the UK @Winston_The_Gravity_Man. They can be perennial in warmer countries.  :)

• philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 3,695
    Well, they've done dogs and monkeys so perhaps Branson/Musk could be persuaded to take some tomato plants up on the next moon shot ?  Just think..........looking at the moon thru your telescope one night and seeing a whacking great tomato waving back at you  :D
    Have you taken your medication today @philippasmith2 ?   :D

It could be worse- it could be those slimeballs Musk or Branson waving at you. That would give me nightmares. 
    On the other hand - if they went there and something happened, and they couldn't get back....

• JennyJJennyJ Posts: 10,459
    What's the moon done to deserve being stuck with those two?
    Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained