Forum home The potting shed

Don't you just love it when...?

B3B3 Posts: 27,298
Somebody knocked at my door to ask about a plant in the front garden. It gave me great pleasure to tell him about it.
Don't ever be too shy to knock and ask. 
In London. Keen but lazy.

• I've had people knock at the door, and ask if they could take photos of the garden, because of the colours.  Always ready to oblige!!
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,571
    I just hate it when people help themselves to seed heads out  of the front before they are  ripe and hence will be useless.
  • coccinellacoccinella Posts: 1,364
    edited April 2023
    Once a young couple asked me if they could take a selfie by my holly tree covered in snow. Nice.

Luxembourg
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 23,788
    We have a lovely couple next door. She loves gardening and we chat quite often over the front garden wall.
    Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,762
    I'd happily have a 10 foot wall between me and the current neighbour, then I wouldn't have to keep removing all her encroaching weeds and shrubs blocking the path...

On the plus side- since I have to keep cutting back the hideous pink Spirea beside the steps so that folk can get to the door,  the Pieris next to it will soon smother it completely. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • didywdidyw Posts: 3,527
    There is a chap I know who makes what he calls sentry boxes. They are lovely and used outdoors for a few tools or whatever.  He asked to photograph one of them by the wall next to my front door as he liked the brick and the trailing climbing rose and later used the photographs in his online promotion.
    Gardening in East Suffolk on dry sandy soil.
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190
    One of my Tesco drivers asked if he could have a look round the garden,  another was in raptures over a clump of blue primula denticulata,  I dug up a clump for him.
    saved putting them in the compost bin. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• PlantmindedPlantminded Posts: 3,446
    Fairygirl said:
    I'd happily have a 10 foot wall between me and the current neighbour, then I wouldn't have to keep removing all her encroaching weeds and shrubs blocking the path...

That made me smile @Fairygirl!  I grew a six foot hedge next to my patio to keep the prying eyes of my nosy neighbour away. When I was planting it, a voice from the other side of the fence below enquired "Have you got them close enough?".  Grrr!  
    Wirral. Sandy, free draining soil.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,007
    No such incursions here @fidgetbones as we have a fence all along the road with a drainage ditch between it and the verge and gates permanently closed cos of the dogs. 

In Belgium, half our plot was across the road - paddock and former farmhouse veg plot.  When we arrived the "garden" was still former cow pasture so I planted my Worcesterberries and Scottish blackcurrants and raspberries in the old veg plot.   Imagine my surprise one day to find a woman who'd just collecetd her two granddaughters from the riding school using their riding hats to hold my raspberries, munching as they picked! 

I went over and said I was really pleased she liked my superior Scottish raspberries but she be sure to leave some for us.   She said she thought they were wild - yeah, behind a fence and staked and tied in.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw