Forum home Garden design

Privacy, and beauty

We used to have a 2m hedge between our and the neighbours front garden. They cut this down as they redesigned the front garden, and now we have a small dividing wall. I’d like to put something up in between to regain some privacy…. Maybe some large rectangular flowerpots, or if there is a topiary I can put in pots and then cut? 

Would be great to have some ideas!!!

I attach a photo 

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,789
    Do you also own the wall? If not, you can't put anything on it. 
    If you do part own it, then you could make rectangular planters, but they'd need to be firmly attached, they'd need good drainage - ie not sitting directly on the wall, and they'd need to be deep/high enough for anything to thrive long term  :)  
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze Posts: 5,620
    edited April 2023
    @RikardS As you may know Box is suffering badly at present both with blight and caterpillar problems. If you are looking for something formal look at Euonymous Jean Hughes or E Green Pillar. Garden Centres are selling mature specimens this year for the first time cones and ball shapes. Just one thing to add is it very cold or windy some were nipped by frost this winter but are recovering. An odd number of pots would work well. Larger pots need less watering but you need pots that are right for the size of your plants. An ultimate height of two thirds the height of the pot works and you will be clipping them. Cover the gravel when clipping as picking up the bits is the worst part.
     Retired Gardener, new build garden, clay soil, South Notts.

The more I garden the less I know but the more pleasure I get from it. Monty Don 
  • RikardSRikardS Posts: 12
    Yes, I do part own it, and don’t expect any issue with the neighbours - they’re nice and friendly. It’s more about finding a solution that is aesthaetic, and offers some privacy (the former hedge was great for me, but grew maintly on their side so it ate up a lot of their space)
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,789
    In that case, the plants @GardenerSuze mentions would work. If you wanted something flowering, things like Escallonia might do. It would depend on whether the site is shady or sunny etc. If it's shadier, Osmanthus will be ok. Both are evergreen and can be pruned if necessary.  :)

I always ask @RikardS because we get regular posts from people who just randomly grow plants on, or attach things to, neighbouring walls and fences without permission, and it can cause a lot of trouble   :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 23,799
    Do you have a back garden too? I was wondering why you want privacy in a small front garden when you have nice friendly neighbours. 

What about pots of bamboo sat on the gravel?
    Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • B3B3 Posts: 27,305
    I would put something in large pots on the gravel too. However, you might need to anchor them in some way in case they disappear.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • RikardSRikardS Posts: 12
    why you want privacy in a small front garden when you have nice friendly neighbours

** the privacy isn’t towards the neighbours, but towards the sidewalk where ppl are strolling up and down, so having some shrubbery will limit their view into my living room :)
  • clematisdorsetclematisdorset Posts: 1,186
    Could cotoneaster franchetti work? It has been cited as very pollution tolerant (vehicle exhaust fumes etc) .
    Where the Wild Things Are
     ...that is where I would prefer to be...
    COASTAL SOUTHERN ENGLAND...silty-sandy-loam ravaged by wind
  • PlantmindedPlantminded Posts: 3,458
    I'd also put containers on the gravel area.  They could be more substantial than containers on the wall and with more space for root growth you could grow larger plants to provide you with better screening. If you like topiary, consider Laurus nobilis (Bay laurel) and also Privet.
    Wirral. Sandy, free draining soil.