Forum home Fruit & veg

Polytunnel and seedlings

Hi everyone

It's my first year with a polytunnel so I am a complete learner. We had a cold night last night but for the rest of the week it's going to be 8 degrees at night. I am desperate to get my seedlings out of the house and to the allotment. 

Tomatoes
Cucumbers
Courgettes
French marigolds
Calendula
Cosmos
Peppers
Chillis

Will they survive? I have plenty of fleece. Thank you for your advice.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,819
    I would try with the calendula but only if they’ve been gardened off. 

I think it’s too early for the rest unless you’re in a mild corner somewhere down south. 

However if you have sunny days you could pop them out during the day and bring them back in overnight.  That’s what I’ve done in the past when pushed for room. At least if they’re just coming in overnight they won’t need a bright windowsill … I put mine on the dining table on a sheet of cardboard to protect it. Even the floor would do … as long as you get up bright and early so that they go out asap in the morning. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• bertrand-mabelbertrand-mabel Posts: 2,647
    We have been running out of space indoors as well. So the tomatoe, cucumber, chillies, peppers seedlings were moved into the polytunnel last week but still in their pots. Sweet peas, pea beans (now planted out) and dwarf french beans were sown in pots in the polytunnel and all have done really well. Beetroot, onions and leeks (now also  all transplanted out) were also sown in pots/trays in the polytunnel back in March and all did well.
  • philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 3,674
    It really does depend where you are .  I am in coastal Somerset and all the plants you list ( except for Cosmos which I don't have ) have been out in my unheated GH for several weeks.  
    The cukes and Courgettes are growing away well whilst the Toms, Peppers and Chillies have slowed down and are really just "sitting" albeit still smiling.  Only to be expected as it is still early days yet and the nights are still cool but all of them are fleeced overnight.
    As said above, if you are moving them from the house, they will need hardening off  - out for days, in at night for a week or so would be the best advice.  
  • MikeOxgreenMikeOxgreen Posts: 807
    I would try with the calendula but only if they’ve been gardened off. 

Don't you just hate this 1hr edit rule, who the heck thought that up?  :D