Forum home Fruit & veg

More tomato plant help needed

My tomato plants have been growing and I have repotted some into bigger pots. However, I am now unsure if I need to repot them again.

Also, I am about to go away for 2 weeks and a neighbour has offered to look after them, but they are not particularly green-fingered and so will be expecting me to tell them what to do! Can anyone advise me what I should be telling them to do?

• JennyJJennyJ Posts: 10,472
    I would put each one in to an individual pot so that they won't be competing with each other for water. Then all they need while you're away is a good light position, not too cold (so not outside yet) and watering when the compost feels dry down to the depth of the first knuckle.
    Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
  • EB123EB123 Posts: 23
    Thank you. Do you think the 2 already in larger pots can stay where they are? Or do they need repotting in bigger pots?
  • JennyJJennyJ Posts: 10,472
    EB123 said:
    Thank you. Do you think the 2 already in larger pots can stay where they are? Or do they need repotting in bigger pots?
    Priority before you go away is to separate out the ones that are crammed into the little tray. Separate the two in the same pot as well, but if you don't have 5" pots, don't have time before you go away to get them and/or prefer to use recycled pots, they'll be OK in the large soup/yoghurt tubs or similar for a couple of weeks as long as you've made plenty of drainage holes. They'll probably be about ready for something bigger when you get back.
    Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
  • EB123EB123 Posts: 23
    Thank you both, much appreciated!