Forum home Garden design

Advice for Greenhouse on gentle slope

Hi, I am getting a 6ft x 6ft greenhouse. My only problem is my patio is on a gentle slope, around 2 inches drop over 2 meters in one direction (arrow). My question is, do I need to make it sprit level even if the patio is evenly flat?
You may think it is not, but, it's the perspective distortion of the phone lens.

I am open for suggestions, I know that below the paving stones there is a layer of concrete, also sloping.

Thank you.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,301
    When I had paving laid for my 10 x 8 Rhino greenhouse it was deliberately sloped a little to prevent puddling.
    The guys who installed the greenhouse (via Rhino) said it would be fine.
    About 6 years on and it's all good.

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Thank you, that's very reassuring, do you remember how much yours is sloping?
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,301
    I can't remember tbh.
    An angle of 2° rings a bell, but I'm not sure.
    You could call the supplier/manufacturer and ask them

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy Posts: 6,742
    Conversely,  with my wooden greenhouse we put in a slight left right slope , for drainage,  I have to "lift" the door every time I open & close it. Annoying!
    AB Still learning

• JennyJJennyJ Posts: 10,435
    edited April 2023
    If you're going with the slope, it will probably look better and avoid @Allotment Boy 's door problem if you make sure that the gable ends (with the door(s)) are across the slope rather than down, ie the ridge running in the direction of the slope.
    Edit: that's if it's a sliding door. If it's hinged, it needs to open in the down-slope direction unless the sill is high enough that the door doesn't catch on the ground when opened.
    Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy Posts: 6,742
    Yes it's my own fault,  I  compromised on an octagonal GH, for aesthetic reasons and changed the door position from side to one end . I didn't think about the slope,  we tried packing out the plinth that it sits on but it wasn't quite enough. The door only just sticks but annoying all the same.
    AB Still learning

• JennyJ said:
    If you're going with the slope, it will probably look better and avoid @Allotment Boy 's door problem if you make sure that the gable ends (with the door(s)) are across the slope rather than down, ie the ridge running in the direction of the slope.

Thanks, that's the plan, the door will be on the northern side which is level, plants will line up with north-south on each side of the greenhouse. This should also allow the gutters to follow the slope and improve the water drainage.
  • scrogginscroggin Posts: 434
    My greenhouse, a freebie that I disassembled and then rebuilt, is on a slope, it's an 8x6. I made a frame from 2x2 wood to sit it on, partly because it sits across slabs and a solid concrete path. It's been up for 5 years with no issues. I would say the drop across 8' is around 2".
  • scroggin said:
    My greenhouse, a freebie that I disassembled and then rebuilt, is on a slope, it's an 8x6. I made a frame from 2x2 wood to sit it on, partly because it sits across slabs and a solid concrete path. It's been up for 5 years with no issues. I would say the drop across 8' is around 2".

Thank you, this really helps.