Forum home The potting shed

Acer Leaf Scorch in April!?

edited April 2023 in The potting shed
I need some urgent help here please, my acers which are quite young all started to bud perfectly, and then I looked through the kitchen window two weeks later and noticed that the foliage had thinned out completely, and when I approached discovered Leaf scorch over two of my three trees. I checked the ground going down two feet, and they seemed moist and following all the heavy rain we’ve had I can’t believe that I need to start watering already! Further, the Japanese cherry’s behind the acers are all doing really well. However, a second opinion would really help me out, thank you. 

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,415
    new leaves are the most vulnerable to sun or a late frost

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • nutcutlet said:
    new leaves are the most vulnerable to sun or a late frost
    Thanks for the advice, NutCutlet, is there anything I can do?
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy Posts: 6,733
    The other thing is we have had some very cold and strong winds. New foliage is very tender. As it's early they may grow out of the damage if the weather calms down.  Fingers crossed 🤞. 
    AB Still learning

• The other thing is we have had some very cold and strong winds. New foliage is very tender. As it's early they may grow out of the damage if the weather calms down.  Fingers crossed 🤞. 
    Thanks for the advice, I’ll hope for the best. 🙏
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,762
    Yes - wind and sun on new growth. A common problem  :)

It's why they do best in dappled shade in a sheltered site - they're essentially woodland plants. It should be fine though  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • edited April 2023
    Fairygirl said:
    Yes - wind and sun on new growth. A common problem  :)

It's why they do best in dappled shade in a sheltered site - they're essentially woodland plants. It should be fine though  :)
    Thanks for the advice. 🙏🙏
  • bertrand-mabelbertrand-mabel Posts: 2,648
    We found last year that the sun reflecting off our conservatory roof was hitting one of the acers very badly. We moved it and all then OK. Hadn't realised at first what was happening.
  • barry islandbarry island Posts: 1,839
    I'ts a bit of a faf but I try to cover mine up the best that I can if frost is forecast but can't do much about winds.
  • I'ts a bit of a faf but I try to cover mine up the best that I can if frost is forecast but can't do much about winds.
    Well, I have certainly learnt my lesson from this fiasco and will be doing the same early spring next year. 🙄