Forum home Fruit & veg

Watering

This is the third year of growing vegetables and we have just planted dwarf peas and beans in troughs.  Just had a discussion with OH about watering these.  Assuming no rain, is it best to lightly water every day or give them a good soaking every two/three days?  Or something completely different?

My view is to go for the two/three day option as this will encourage the roots to grow, but as I have a talent for killing plants any advice gratefully received :)

At about 750 feet on the western edge of The Pennines.  Clay soil.  

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,905
    Every few days thoroughly. Light frequent watering is no use for any plant, as it doesn't encourage proper rooting.  :)
    The amount and frequency still depends on the individual plant and it's requirements though. Tomatoes are best watered when they look a little bit wilted, and almost shouting for a drink, whereas peas/beans wouldn't really like that. 
    Make sure those troughs are off the ground too if they're staying on that hard surface. That ensures excess can get away. I assume they're getting planted into something deeper though at some point? They look a bit shallow for peas or beans ,even dwarf ones   :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • SkandiSkandi Posts: 1,723
    Once those get growing you'll need to water heavily every day, that's a large amount of plants in a small area.
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,024
    Agree with @Fairygirl about both watering and pot depth for those plants.  This diagram might help convince your OH about watering methods.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • I assume they're getting planted into something deeper though at some point? They look a bit shallow for peas or beans ,even dwarf ones
     No free ground available I'm afraid.  Everything that we grow is in pots or troughs, apart from a few potatoes I planted around the compost last year.

I never thought about the pots being too shallow but I could transfer them to larger grow bags at some point.  When would be the best time to do this?

Thanks for the diagram on watering - it makes it very clear.

There's more to this gardening lark than i ever imagine when i started growing veg. a couple of year ago!
  • JennyJJennyJ Posts: 10,472
    The trouble with growbags is that they're also shallow, maybe even more so than the troughs as the compost in them tends to settle and compact. Better to use deeper pots or those veggie/potato bags that you can buy. You can use the compost from growbags if you already have them or if it's the cheapest way to buy it. I have seen growbags used cut in two across the middle and each half stood up on the end but I think they might need something to support them.
    Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,024
    Grown in the ground, some beans send feeder roots down as deep as 3 to 4' or 90 to 120cms so you definitely need some deeper pots and also not too crowded so their roots have room to spread.   You can often find old pots and containers at car-boot sales or even the local recycling centre and pretty much anything will do, including canvas bags, as long as there is drainage.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Thanks, I think I've got a couple of bags that I grow potatoes in so I can use them
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,905
    If you already have some grow bags - do as @JennyJ describes re cutting in half across the width ,so that you effectively have two large bags/containers. Give them a really good shake before you do it to get the mix loosened up.  A few canes would do for supports.
    Not sure how many plants you'd get in each but I grow mange tout now and again - 3 or 4 plants in a fifteen inch pot.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Thanks for all your helpful comments.  We plan to put the plants into the type of grow bags that we use for growing potatoes.   I've found four that have never been used.

I'm not sure of the size but the potatoes grow OK in them.

Just wondered when would be the best time to move the plants.