Forum home The potting shed

dry leaves eucalyptus problem

Hi All,
I planted a young eucalyptus in a pot on patio late summer 2022.
it’s not developed at all and has now got dry spotty leaves. It is wet! I have raised the pit off the ground with feet hoping it the water is an issue it will help drainage. 
It gets sun ( when it shines) but it’s been very windy a lot this year, and it gets the wind straight on. I thought they were pretty tolerant but now I’m wondering if I need to move it to the ground or a more sheltered sun spot. I wanted it for screening on patio but maybe it’s not suited? Or maybe it’s a dud one ?it is green on the stem when I scraped it to check.

Thank you in advance again! Tracy 

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,895
    It'll have been hammered by the winter weather - wet/freeze etc. They don't like that.
    It's also a very young plant, so is still establishing, and therefore far more vulnerable to any changeable conditions. Even mature specimens have been badly affected.
    I'd move it somewhere sheltered. You may need to cut it all back in a while, and new growth should then happen. They need decent drainage too - whether in a pot or the ground. 

If it survives and then thrives, it won't be able to stay in that pot very long though. They're not really pot plants - they want to be very large trees, so the roots will eventually just fill that. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • TSMTSM Posts: 41
    Fairygirl said:
    It'll have been hammered by the winter weather - wet/freeze etc. They don't like that.
    It's also a very young plant, so is still establishing, and therefore far more vulnerable to any changeable conditions. Even mature specimens have been badly affected.
    I'd move it somewhere sheltered. You may need to cut it all back in a while, and new growth should then happen. They need decent drainage too - whether in a pot or the ground. 

If it survives and then thrives, it won't be able to stay in that pot very long though. They're not really pot plants - they want to be very large trees, so the roots will eventually just fill that. 
    Thanks Fairygirl. Yes it was just a pot for it to establish, then was going into a very large one.I have another Eucalyptus in the ground at top garden. Its amazing, but is is in a very sunny and sheltered bed so i cut back on 31st March.Its wonderful. I didnt want 2 in the ground really. I worry about the roots.
    Il move it to a sunny sheltered spot in hope it recovers and then see what the summer brings to the patio area :) thank you 
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,895
    Much easier for them to cope in the ground than in a pot - as with many plants, especially shrubs/trees. 
    You'll just have to see how it recovers. It's still establishing if it's only been in there since summer   :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...